Published on
Agence France-Presse

Egypt Protesters Defy Military After Crackdown

Samer al-Atrush

An Egyptian paints an anti-higher military council, which rules Egypt, graffiti, at Tahrir Square in Cairo, Egypt, Sunday, April 10, 2011. Demonstrators barricaded themselves with barbed wire inside a central Cairo square demanding the resignation of the military's head after troops violently dispersed Friday's overnight protest killing one and injuring scores. At left, painting showing field Marshal Hussein Tantawi, the head of the higher military council. Arabic read, ' the battle of higher military council against demonstrators' . (AP Photo/Amr Nabil)

CAIRO — More than 1,000 Egyptian protested in Cairo's Tahrir Square on Sunday after an overnight sit-in demonstration when the army backed down on a threat to disperse them.

The protesters, who blocked the square with a charred army truck, barbed wire and beams, chanted against military chief Field Marshal Hussein Tantawi, who has been in charge since president Hosni Mubarak's ouster in February.

"The people demand the toppling of the field marshal," they chanted, after spending a nervous night waiting for the army to carry out its warning that it would enforce a three-hour pre-dawn curfew.

Soldiers, backed by riot police, had dispersed an overnight protest in the iconic square before dawn on Saturday, with one protester shot dead.

The military later warned it would clear out remaining protesters, keeping the demonstrators on edge throughout the night as the countdown began for the curfew.

Groups of young men whistled and banged at the barricades when they thought the military, which remained out of sight, was approaching, prompting others to run to them with sticks.

As the curfew neared its end, some protesters began to chant jokingly: "Hit us, hit us, you are taking your time and we're bored."

Their numbers waxed and waned throughout morning, with groups of protesters locked in arguments with passers-by who wanted them to leave the square, which remained closed to traffic.

By the afternoon there were more than a 1,000 of them. Groups of protesters would rush to the barricades when their sentries yelled that "thugs" were sighted. There no noticeable military or police presence.

The protesters faced mounting criticism from other groups that took part in the revolt that toppled Mubarak.

The Muslim Brotherhood, the best organised opposition movement, had from the start described protesters against the military as feckless "zealots."

"The Muslim Brotherhood condemns any attempt to weaken (the military's relationship with the people), and especially attempts to cause any split between the military and the people or to pit them against each other," it said.

"It is apparent that there are those who are striving to accomplish that from the remnants of the old regime, and some zealots who do not consider consequences," it said.

A senior Brotherhood official, Essam al-Erian, said on Sunday that the group stood by the statement after the deadly clash and refused to comment on the military's actions.

State television and newspapers played up criticism by other opposition figures.

The military has called the protesters "outlaws" and suggested they might be led by former ruling party officials. It denied using force or live ammunition against the protesters.

Since Mubarak quit, protesters have been holding regular Friday demonstrations, the last one tens of thousands strong, demanding that he and other former regime officials stand trial.

Saturday's death was the first in the square since it became the focal point for the 18 days of protests that triggered Mubarak's resignation on February 11.

The army denied it was responsible for the death of a protester who was shot in the mouth, saying no fatalities were discovered when it cleared the square to enforce the curfew.

It said four soldiers and nine protesters were wounded.

"Those who remain in the square will be dispersed," General Ismail Etman told reporters. But his warning was ignored by the demonstrators, who chanted slogans against the military.

"I'm not scared, I'm sad it came to this, but what right does the army have to attack us," said one protester, Mohammed Abdel Al, as he prepared to take a nap on the square.

Tantawi, who served as the ousted president's defence minister for two of his three decades in power, has vowed to oversee a swift return to civilian rule after limited amendments to the Mubarak-era constitution were approved in a referendum last month.

This is the world we live in. This is the world we cover.

Because of people like you, another world is possible. There are many battles to be won, but we will battle them together—all of us. Common Dreams is not your normal news site. We don't survive on clicks. We don't want advertising dollars. We want the world to be a better place. But we can't do it alone. It doesn't work that way. We need you. If you can help today—because every gift of every size matters—please do. Without Your Support We Won't Exist.

Please select a donation method:

Share This Article