Published on

Rig Survivors: BP Ordered Shortcut on Day of Blast

Scott Bronstein and Wayne Drash

The Deepwater Horizon drilling rig was photographed April 22, engulfed in flames after the explosion that killed 11 workers on April 20. (AP)

The morning the Deepwater Horizon oil rig exploded, a BP executive
and a Transocean official argued over how to proceed with the drilling,
rig survivors told CNN's Anderson Cooper in an exclusive interview.

survivors' account paints perhaps the most detailed picture yet of what
happened on the deepwater rig -- and the possible causes of the April
20 explosion.

The BP official wanted workers to replace heavy
mud, used to keep the well's pressure down, with lighter seawater to
help speed a process that was costing an estimated $750,000 a day and
was already running five weeks late, rig survivors told CNN.

won the argument, said Doug Brown, the rig's chief mechanic. "He
basically said, 'Well, this is how it's gonna be.' "

"That's what
the big argument was about," added Daniel Barron III.

after the exchange, chief driller Dewey Revette expressed concern and
opposition too, the workers said, and on the drilling floor, they
chatted among themselves.

"I don't ever remember doing this,"
they said, according to Barron.

"I think that's why Dewey was so
reluctant to try to do it," Barron said, "because he didn't feel it was
the right way to have things done."

Revette was among the 11 workers killed
when the rig exploded that night.

In the CNN interviews, the
workers described a corporate culture of cutting staff and ignoring
warning signs ahead of the blast. They said BP routinely cut corners and
pushed ahead despite concerns about safety.

The rig survivors
also said it was always understood that you could get fired if you
raised safety concerns that might delay drilling. Some co-workers had
been fired for speaking out, they said.

It can cost up to $1
million a day to operate a deepwater rig, according to industry experts.

Safety was "almost used as a crutch by the company," Barron said. He
said he was once scolded for standing on a bucket on the rig, yet the
next day, Transocean ordered a crane to continue operating amid high
winds, against its own policies. "It's like they used it against us --
the safety policies -- you know, to their advantage.

"I don't
think there was ever a plan set in place, because no one ever thought
this was gonna ever happen," he added.

BP spokesman Robert Wine
would not comment on specific allegations, saying the company has to
"wait for the investigations to be completed. We can't prejudge them."

"BP's priority is always safety," he said.

Transocean, the
world's largest offshore drilling contractor, said its top priority is

"There is no scenario or circumstance under which it will
be compromised," the company said in a written statement. "So critical
is safety at Transocean that every crew member has stop-work authority, a
real-time method by which all work is halted should any employee
suspect an unsafe situation or operation."

The Justice
Department has launched a criminal investigation into the massive oil
spill that has spewed as much as 798,000 gallons (19,000 barrels) of oil
into the Gulf of Mexico every day.

The rig workers have filed a
negligence suit against BP, Transocean, oil field services contractor
Halliburton and other companies involved with the deepwater rig.


Never Miss a Beat.

Get our best delivered to your inbox.

seen gross negligence, and this conduct is criminal," said Steve
Gordon, the lawyer representing the men. "There's a crime scene sitting
5,000 feet below the water."

Brown, the rig's mechanic, had
traveled with the rig from South Korea, where it was made nearly a
decade ago. He had seen the mechanical crew get downsized over the
years. Yet as the rig aged, the engines began having more problems.

became overwhelming," he said. "We couldn't keep up with the flow of
it. ... We constantly over the years kept telling them, 'Hey, we need
more help back here.'

"They pretty much just said, 'Well, we'll
look into it.' "

About nine months ago, Brown said, he got an
additional first engineer, yet the crew was still overloaded with work.

Even more alarming, the rig survivors said, was the amount of
resistance the well was giving them. "We had problems with it from the
day we got on," Matthew Jacobs said.

Nearly every day, Jacobs said, "we had
problems with that well."

Barron said it was like an eerie cloud
hung over the well being dug 5,000 feet into the sea.

"There was
always like an ominous feeling," he said. "This well did not want to be
drilled. ... It just seemed like we were messing with Mother Nature."

At times, the drill got stuck. Many times, it "kicked," meaning gas
was shooting back through the mud at an alarming rate.

"I've seen
a lot of gas coming up from muds on different wells, and the highest
I've ever seen in my 11 years was 1,500 units. And this well gave us
3,000," Brown said. "I've never been on a well with that high of gas
coming out of the mud. That was kind of letting me know this well was
something to be reckoned with."

It all came to a head at 9:56
p.m., when the first of three explosions rocked Deepwater Horizon, 52
miles southeast of Venice, Louisiana, with 126 people aboard. Tiles fell
from the ceiling, walls collapsed, and people ran for their lives. It
reminded Matt Jacobs of the movie "Titanic."

"It looked like you
was looking at the face of death," he said. "You could hear it, see it,
smell it."

He scrambled to the lifeboat deck. Jacobs had been
trained to fight fires aboard the rig. But when he looked at the flames
shooting 150 feet into the air, he knew there was nothing they could do.
"There is no way we can put that fire out," he thought.

hopped in a lifeboat. He screamed for co-workers to jump aboard. A
second explosion rocked the rig. The lifeboat, still suspended in the
air, went into a free fall of about 3 feet.

"Here I am on a
lifeboat that's supposed to help me get off this rig," Jacobs thought.
"And I'm gonna wind up dying."

He bowed his head and prayed.

50 days later, the survivors are telling their stories. It's become
part of their everyday lives. They can't shake what happened that day,
even when they close their eyes at night.

like being in a neverending nightmare," Brown said. "You dream about
it. You see it in your sleep. Then, we wake up in the morning, and we
realize it's not a dream. It's real. ... It doesn't end for us."

This is the world we live in. This is the world we cover.

Because of people like you, another world is possible. There are many battles to be won, but we will battle them together—all of us. Common Dreams is not your normal news outlet. We don't survive on clicks. We don't want advertising dollars. We want the world to be a better place. But we can't do it alone. It doesn't work that way. We need you. If you can help today—because every gift of every size matters—please do. Without Your Support We Won't Exist.

Please select a donation method:

Share This Article