18 Peacemakers Busted at Giuliani and Hillary Offices and No Original Reporting From The Register
Eighteen peace activists were arrested in Des Moines, Iowa Thursday for trespassing inside the campaign offices of presidential candidates Rudy Giuliani and Hillary Clinton, according to the Associated Press.
Both the New York Times and the Huffington Post picked up the AP story. The protest is the top story this morning over at the KCCI Channel 8 homepage, and their video coverage last night and this morning was exceptional.
The Des Moines Register ran the AP story Friday morning, but was apparently too busy for any original reporting about a major protest in their own backyard.
The Des Moines Register should fix that today by doing some original reporting in time for the weekend edition. Kathy Kelly, a 2-time Nobel Peace Prize nominee, and several others are scheduled to be arraigned in Polk County this morning.
Those arrested Thursday at Giuliani's campaign office are:
Nick Kinkel, 19, Des Moines, Iowa
Mickey Davis, 16, Waukee, Iowa
Joy First, 53, Madison, Wisconsin
Jeff Leys, 43, Chicago, Illinois
Dan Pearson, 26, Chicago, Illinois
Suzanne Sheridan, 31, Chicago, Illinois
Ed Bloomer, 60, Des Moines, Iowa
Ron Durham, 26, Chicago, Illinois
Kathy Kelly, 54, Chicago, Illinois
Elton Davis, 45, Des Moines, Iowa
Those arrested at Hillary's office Thursday are:
Renee Espeland, 46, Des Moines, Iowa
Robert Braam, 51, Manhaton, Illinois
Chrissy Kirchoefer, 30, Marseilles, Illinois
David Goodner, 26, Iowa City, Iowa
Mona Shaw, 56, Des Moines, Iowa
Chris Guant, 51, Grinnell, Iowa
Brian Terrell, 51, Maloy, Iowa
Farah Mokhtareizadeh, 24, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Our campaign, Seasons of Discontent: A Presidential Occupation Project, is demanding that all presidential candidates agree to:
- A complete withdrawal of U.S. military forces and private contractors from Iraq and Afghanistan within 100 days of assuming the office of President of the United States;
- A complete halt to any and all military actions against Iraq and Iran;
- Reparations and full funding for the reconstruction of Iraq;
- Work to end the Israeli occupation of Palestine while ensuring security for Israel and justice for Palestine;
- Publicly commit to oppose the use of U.S. military forces against Iran, Pakistan or any other opening front in the "war on terror.";
- Publicly commit to dismantle most of the U.S. nuclear arsenal
- Full funding for veterans health care
- Full funding for the Common Good in the U.S.- rebuild our education and health care systems; job training programs and livable wages for all Americans; universal health care for all; rebuild our country's inner cities and rural communities; and initiate a comprehensive campaign on the scale of a new Tennessee Valley Authority and Rural Electrification Project of the Great Depression era to create affordable, safe and sustainable alternative forms of energy and energy consumption; and for other vital social programs.
- Repeal NAFTA and CAFTA and implement fair trade agreements, foreign aid, and other foreign policies that give a preferential option to the poor.
© 2007 DesMoines Register