Sign-Up for Newsletter!
Most Popular This Week
- Members of Congress Declare "Immunity" from Insider Trading Probe
- Afraid to Stoke Populist Ire, Obama Abandons 'Inequality' Rhetoric
- NSA 'Bombshell': Agency Spied on Prominent American Citizens
- Unpatriotic US Corporations Becoming Hot Political Issue That Unites Right and Left
- Kneeling in Fenway Park to the Gods of War
Today's Top News
'Model for the Nation': California Expands Access to Abortions
Move runs counter-current to state-level attacks on reproductive rights and access across the US
The state of California expanded access to abortions Wednesday when Governor Jerry Brown signed a bill that allows a wider spectrum of non-physician medical providers to perform abortions.
This bill goes beyond the laws of Washington, Montana, Vermont, and New Hampshire—which allow nurse practitioners to perform abortions using tubes and suction—by permitting nurse practitioners, certified nurse-midwives and physician assistants to perform abortions using suction.
The move runs counter-current to a wave of restrictions on reproductive rights and access in states across the U.S.—from Ohio to Texas.
Kathy Kneer, president and CEO of Planned Parenthood Affiliates of California, declared, "We hope that California can serve as a model for the nation and help stem the tide of regressive reproductive health laws," she said.