Sign-Up for Newsletter!
Most Popular This Week
- Members of Congress Declare "Immunity" from Insider Trading Probe
- Afraid to Stoke Populist Ire, Obama Abandons 'Inequality' Rhetoric
- NSA 'Bombshell': Agency Spied on Prominent American Citizens
- Unpatriotic US Corporations Becoming Hot Political Issue That Unites Right and Left
- Kneeling in Fenway Park to the Gods of War
Today's Top News
Major Earthquake Rocks Pakistan, Causes 'Island' to Form
A 7.7 magnitude earthquake rocked the Baluchistan province of Pakistan on Tuesday, killing at least 45 people, according to media reports.
Reuters reports that
The earthquake was so powerful that it caused the seabed to rise and create a small, mountain-like island about 600 meters (yards) off Pakistan's Gwadar coastline in the Arabian Sea.
Muhammad Riaz, a senior Pakistan meteorologist, told reporters that "heavy destruction" was likely.
The death toll is likely to climb. The U.S. Geological Survey issued a red alert level for fatalities after the earthquake, writing that "High casualties are probable and the disaster is likely widespread. Past events with this alert level have required a national or international level response."