EMAIL SIGN UP!
Most Popular This Week
- What the US Media Won't Tell You About Ukraine
- Heard the One About Obama Denouncing a Breach of International Law?
- Hundreds of Students Arrested Demanding Climate Action
- Ukraine in Context: What You Don't Know About a New Cold War
- Bernie Sanders: 'I Am Prepared to Run for President of the United States'
Today's Top News
Speaker Boehner: Tax Hikes Are 'Off the Table'
House Speaker John Boehner is insisting tax increases are "off the table" in negotiations with the Obama administration and congressional Democrats on extending the federal debt limit.
The Ohio Republican tells NBC's "Today" show "everything else is on the table." Boehner appeared a day after telling the Economic Club of New York he wants trillions of dollars in spending cuts as part of legislation allowing the government to continue borrowing beyond the current $14.3 trillion cap.
Boehner says he doesn't think Congress can take money from "some who would invest in our economy" and hand it over to the government. He said, "You can't raise taxes."
Boehner said mandatory spending programs like Medicare and Social Security must be addressed because now "they're unaffordable for our kids and our grandkids."