EMAIL SIGN UP!
Most Popular This Week
- Krugman: Worried About Oligarchy? You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet
- The Change Within: The Obstacles We Face Are Not Just External
- Does Climate Apathy Hinge on 'Pervasive' American Stupidity?
- 'Fuck Earth Day': Let This Year's Be The Last
- 'Straight from the Horse's Mouth': Former Oil Exec Says Fracking Not Safe
Today's Top News
Sen. Boxer on PBS Cuts: 'Republicans Have a Vendetta Against Elmo'
Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.) said Tuesday that House Republicans want to strip government funding of PBS because they have a "vendetta against Elmo."
Boxer made the comments during a floor speech where she made the case for her bill that would ensure that the president and lawmakers are not paid if a government shutdown occurs.
Boxer said that the cost of four hours of the Iraq war would be enough to keep PBS funded — and the popular fire-red children's character on the air.
Boxer believes that the GOP has more than just a vendetta against Elmo. She added that Republicans hold a "vendetta against healthcare" and a "vendetta against clean energy."
House Republicans last month passed a bill that would strip government funding for both National Public Radio and PBS.