EMAIL SIGN UP!
Most Popular This Week
- US Is an Oligarchy Not a Democracy, says Scientific Study
- DOJ Investigation Confirms: Albuquerque Police 'Executing' Citizens
- Pulitzer Vindicates: Snowden Journalists Win Top Honor
- Krugman: Worried About Oligarchy? You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet
- Study: Fracking Emissions Up To 1000x Higher Than EPA Estimates
Today's Top News
Published on Thursday, July 22, 2010 by Democracy Now!
Jesse Jackson Calls Shirley Sherrod a 'True Freedom Fighter' Who Fought Back Against 'Attempted Character Assassination'
Two days after Shirley Sherrod was fired from her job at the Agriculture Department over allegedly racist comments she made in a selectively excerpted internet video posted by Tea Party activist Andrew Breitbart, Sherrod has received an apology from both the White House and Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack. Sherrod used to oversee rural development in Georgia and Vilsack offered her another unspecified position within the department. Sherrod said she would consider it. We speak with the Rev. Jesse Jackson who suggests Sherrod accept the new position: "She would be a great face of redemption on our quest for racial and gender justice and quality."
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License