EMAIL SIGN UP!
Most Popular This Week
- US Is an Oligarchy Not a Democracy, says Scientific Study
- DOJ Investigation Confirms: Albuquerque Police 'Executing' Citizens
- What Do the Koch Brothers Really Want?
- Tutu: Climate Crisis Demands 'Anti-Apartheid-Style Boycott' of Fossil Fuel Industry
- Pulitzer Vindicates: Snowden Journalists Win Top Honor
Today's Top News
The One (Dreadful) Thing They Don't Call Themselves
Just in time for the Super Bowl, the National Congress of American Indians has released Proud To Be, a powerful new ad that seeks to explain why the Washington Redskins name - which never gets mentioned - is a racist horror that needs to be changed. With a fascinating history of the word, from its reportedly "benign" origins to its use in 1860s bounty notices - "$200 for every red-skin sent to purgatory" - to the decades-long fight to change a name that ignorant rich people like owner Dan Snyder, all of whom should know better but somehow don't, continue to insist is "a badge of honor." Tell them it's not. It's time they join this century.