Sign-Up for Newsletter!
Most Popular This Week
- Members of Congress Declare "Immunity" from Insider Trading Probe
- Afraid to Stoke Populist Ire, Obama Abandons 'Inequality' Rhetoric
- Supreme Court's Women in Scathing Dissent on Contraception Ruling
- NSA 'Bombshell': Agency Spied on Prominent American Citizens
- Unpatriotic US Corporations Becoming Hot Political Issue That Unites Right and Left
Today's Top News
PalFest: On Palestine As A Place of Enduring Miracles
In defiance of the "terrible genius of Israel," writers and activists travelled to a battered Gaza last week for the sixth annual, ever-improbable Palestine Festival of Literature. Born to help break the cultural siege that separates Palestinians from each other and the rest of the world, the festival invites participants to listen, read, talk, bear witness and reaffirm, in the words of Edward Said, "the power of culture over the culture of power." Several hundred attended; many told their stories. So yes: Despite a pervasive media silence, life does go on there.