Sign-Up for Newsletter!
Most Popular This Week
- Members of Congress Declare "Immunity" from Insider Trading Probe
- Afraid to Stoke Populist Ire, Obama Abandons 'Inequality' Rhetoric
- Supreme Court's Women in Scathing Dissent on Contraception Ruling
- NSA 'Bombshell': Agency Spied on Prominent American Citizens
- Unpatriotic US Corporations Becoming Hot Political Issue That Unites Right and Left
Today's Top News
Because Guns (Also Spoons) Don't Kill People, Free Shotguns For All!
Seeking to "take back our city" from crime and gun violence, an Armed Citizen Project affiliate in Tucson, Arizona - where Gabby Giffords was shot - has announced a brilliant plan to give away free shotguns in high-crime neighborhoods, an idea that people with brains and other critics are calling "pure idiocy" and "absolute lunacy." The intiative was organized by a GOP failed mayoral candidate known for giving away guns at every conceivable occasion, who argues that "protecting your family and your property is a personal right," and who believes that linking guns to gun violence is "like saying spoons are responsible for making people fat.” This, on a day that saw horrific new details released on Adam Lanza's Newtown massacre, new numbers on the billions of dollars that gun violence costs taxpayers and the health care system, a random sampling of the day's known gun casualties - 15 this time - and a look back at ongoing evidence that more guns equal more gun violence. Colbert weighs in too.