Sign-Up for Newsletter!
Most Popular This Week
- Members of Congress Declare "Immunity" from Insider Trading Probe
- Hillary Clinton Goes to Bat for GMOs at Biotech Conference
- Afraid to Stoke Populist Ire, Obama Abandons 'Inequality' Rhetoric
- Supreme Court's Women in Scathing Dissent on Contraception Ruling
- Revealed: 'Collect It All' NSA Targets Those Seeking Web Privacy
Today's Top News
Missouri Is Brilliant: Make Gun Control A Felony, Shoot Gun Control Bills, Teach First-Graders the Same
Amidst the ongoing, awful litany of senseless gun deaths - the latest in Maryland, California, Nevada - Missouri Republicans have come up with their own innovative responses. As "a matter of principle," one wants to make it a class D felony for any lawmaker to propose legislation "that further restricts the right of an individual to bear arms." Another took a Democratic bill that proposes banning assault weapons to a shooting range, where he blasted it full of holes. And another would mandate putting the NRA-sponsored Eddie Eagle Gunsafe Program in every first-grade classroom, so every 5 and 6-year-old would know "how to be around guns." It would also require teachers to take a training course for how to respond to a theoretical school shooting. All this in a state that in 2007 repealed a background check requirement that resulted in a 25% spike in homicides - and which has no sex education requirements, because it's obviously so much more important for kids to know about guns than their own bodies.
"I have come to the conclusion that politics is too serious a matter to be left to the politicians." - Charles de Gaulle