Sign-Up for Newsletter!
Most Popular This Week
- Members of Congress Declare "Immunity" from Insider Trading Probe
- Afraid to Stoke Populist Ire, Obama Abandons 'Inequality' Rhetoric
- Supreme Court's Women in Scathing Dissent on Contraception Ruling
- NSA 'Bombshell': Agency Spied on Prominent American Citizens
- Unpatriotic US Corporations Becoming Hot Political Issue That Unites Right and Left
Today's Top News
Getting A Chance
For those of us who can't handle watching these things on the tee vee machine, some highlights from the Democrats' convention. The most striking, modestly heartening thing: Camera pans show a multi-colored, multi-cultural audience that looks roughly like America. A rundown of the good and bad in the Democrats' platform, a look at protests, and great speeches - with no mention of kill lists - from Michelle Obama, Deval Patrick and Julian Castro. May their words be transformed into actions.
“We know that in our free market economy some will prosper more than others. What we don’t accept is the idea that some folks won’t even get a chance....Of all the fictions we heard last week in Tampa, the one I find most troubling is this: If we all just go our own way, our nation will be stronger for it,” he said. “Because if we sever the threads that connect us, the only people who will go far are those who are already ahead. We all understand that freedom isn’t free. What Romney and Ryan don’t understand is that neither is opportunity. We have to invest in it.” - San Antonio Mayor Julian Castro