EMAIL SIGN UP!
Most Popular This Week
- US Is an Oligarchy Not a Democracy, says Scientific Study
- DOJ Investigation Confirms: Albuquerque Police 'Executing' Citizens
- What Do the Koch Brothers Really Want?
- Tutu: Climate Crisis Demands 'Anti-Apartheid-Style Boycott' of Fossil Fuel Industry
- Pulitzer Vindicates: Snowden Journalists Win Top Honor
Today's Top News
Trimming the Fat, Like Feeding Poor Kids and Seniors
Charged with reducing "lower-priority spending" to avert military cuts next year, House Republicans in their wisdom want to cut billions from food stamps, free school lunches, Medicaid, Meals on Wheels and other social service programs - aka, in Fox News-ese, "trimming the fat" - rather than from the Pentagon. In contrast, the Center for American Progress has found more than $500 billion savings cutting “largely useless” weapons systems - never mind that eliminating the Bush tax cuts would provide double the savings needed.