For many years I have reached out and tried unsuccessfully to bridge the differences between Democrats and myself despite the fact
that these efforts have never resulted in anything more than dashed political hopes. My simple plea has been for Democrats to earn
my vote-and most of America's-by standing on a people-centered platform and selecting a world-class Presidential candidate to
I simply disagree with my friends who say that superior leadership doesn't make a difference. Therefore, in the face of their
constant discouragement, I have continued to reflect on what the leadership I can support would look like and who in the Democratic
Party might embody it. At this moment in time, I've concluded that it is found in the person of Mr. Bill Moyers.
1. Mr. Moyers has a genuine, civil, positive, hopeful courage of conviction that we the people can and will serve our own common
good if we are properly informed and use the tools of our great democracy wisely. His passion for our country is rooted in a deep
understanding, respect for, and unswerving adherence to the bedrock values and principles our Founding Fathers left us for us to
2. Mr. Moyers has a profound vision about how the United States of America can be unified again by the fullest exercise of
self-government by we the people around our basic commitments to simple, commonly accepted all-American values and policies such as
equality of opportunity and caring for your neighbor and telling the truth.
3. Mr. Moyers is a fearless advocate. He is unafraid to say that many politicians are simply the shills of selfish, greedy
corporate interests; that false prophets are heretics; and that powerful media and lobby groups are peddling corruption.
4. Mr. Moyers espouses and upholds very high standards of professional ethics and personal integrity.
5. Mr. Moyers brings significant hands-on White House experience to bear on his thinking about America's future.
6. Mr. Moyers lifetime of public service as an honest political journalist has earned him national esteem and the respect of
millions of people.
7. Mr. Moyers talks openly and comfortably about the role spiritual values play in his progressive outlook without abusing or
disrespecting the line that is supposed to separate religious belief and political thought in America.
8. He is an exceptionally smart person. He has a truly impressive command of the facts underlying the fundamental connection that
exists between progressive policies and electoral results. Further, he has demonstrated a unique ability to think ahead of the
curve and craft and manage creative, state-of-the-art, successful enterprises, including ones that involve media planning.
9. He is a mesmerizing public speaker and a superb debater.
10. Mr. Moyers understands expressed the view that the perfection of our union will require new and perhaps unprecedented sacrifices
by all of us. He would be a captain who bravely acknowledges the turbulent waters roiling all about and inspires us to do the right
things needed to safely sail through them.
The current leadership of the Democratic Party is timid, off-message, and strategically bankrupt. Therefore, I submit this
recommendation for a change in leadership to the people for your consideration before your hopes for the Democratic Party are
crushed again before they've even had the chance to form.
In a recent speech, Mr. Moyers challenged his audience to become more active in the practice of democracy by telling a joke about an
Irishman who in coming upon a fight outside a bar asked, "Is this a private fight or can anyone join in?" What a wonderful
question. Bill Moyers is one of the very few Americans in public life who I can honestly say has earned my complete trust and my
allegiance should he choose to accept it. If he were to run for President, I'd join what would become the people's movement to win
back our country under the Democratic banner.
Scott Beckman, is Development Director for the Northern Pueblos Housing Authority in Santa Fe, NM.