EMAIL SIGN UP!
Most Popular This Week
- 21 Ways the Canadian Health Care System is Better than Obamacare
- The Empire Strikes Back: How Wall Street Has Turned Housing Into a Dangerous Get-Rich-Quick Scheme -- Again
- Naming Names: The 90 Companies Destroying Our Planet
- Scared to Death in the USA
- Pope Slams Rampant Inequality, 'Economy That Kills'
Today's Top News
In 2010, Obama Must Enforce Law or Be Impeached
My first wish for 2010 is that President Obama will direct U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder to begin federal prosecutions:
- of George W. Bush and Dick Cheney -- for war crimes and treason against our Constitution.
- of 30 or so leaders of the largest banks and investment, insurance, accounting, bond rating and law firms responsible for the irresponsible home mortgage lending and fraudulent repackaging of bad mortgages into investment instruments that led to the housing crash -- for crimes of purposeful lack of due diligence and any other crimes they perpetrated upon investors, including false balance sheets.
- of the high-level federal appointees at Treasury, the Federal Reserve and other agencies who were told by staff what was going on with the mortgages/investment instruments and what could be done about it, and who did nothing -- thus violating their oaths of office and statutory authorities.
My second wish for 2010 is that Obama wakes up and says, "My God, I am guilty of Bush's ‘sins.' " And that Obama immediately orders the troops home from Iraq and Afghanistan; orders the cessation of illegal attacks against alleged terrorists in Pakistan, Yemen and elsewhere; orders the FBI to draft criminal charges against suspected terrorists and presents these charges to federal courts and international police agencies, requesting the apprehension of such terrorists through police channels; orders the cessation of illegal spying on all Americans; orders the immediate closure of GITMO and moves all prisoners to the basement of the Pentagon to stand trial in federal courts; orders the immediate cessation of all actions considered torture under the Geneva Conventions; orders the termination of all agency heads and generals who told him to do all these things; and orders the prosecution of present and past agency heads and generals who advocated the above actions or implemented these actions in violation of U.S. law.
My third wish is that Obama then goes to a large park in Los Angeles, invites the poor of all races and nationalities, and states he has seen the error of his ways. He asks for forgiveness from the American people and the millions of people in Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan whose lives he has ruined, and he states he will not run for president in 2012 but will spend the last three years of his presidency working to eradicate poverty in America with public sector jobs and training so that Americans can: live with their families, have a job to go to each day, have food on the table, have a roof over their heads, not fear sickness because they have single-payer/Medicare-for-all health insurance, believe in the future because their kids will go to good, free public schools and higher education, and have a secure retirement due to an improved Social Security system.
And lastly, if Obama does not act on wishes No. 1 and No. 2 above in the first few months of 2010, we regretfully and forcefully move to impeach and remove him from office.
We have given Obama a year of hope and patience. He deserves no more. We must create a crisis -- the crisis of impeachment -- and remove from office the person who has violated his oath of office to preserve and protect the Constitution of the United States and to uphold and enforce the laws of our nation.
Just as America has been strong enough to withstand the massive personal, corporate and governmental corruption of the last 10 years, we are certainly strong enough to withstand the turmoil of impeaching our president.
We must take action against the crimes Bush committed and Obama is committing, or we lose our form of government. We must punish those at the top who break our laws or we are finished as a nation ruled by law, not kings.
Obama either protects our Constitution and enforces the laws, or we, as citizens, are duty bound to throw him out using the most powerful tool we have: impeachment!
Buzz Davis of Stoughton is a former Army officer and elected official and a retired state government planner. He is a member of Wisconsin Impeachment/Bring Our Troops Home Coalition and Veterans for Peace.