EMAIL SIGN UP!
Most Popular This Week
- Fuel Removal From Fukushima's Reactor 4 Threatens 'Apocalyptic' Scenario
- Pepsi, Nestle, Coca Cola Revealed as Big Money Behind GMO Labeling Fight
- Let’s Get This Class War Started
- Russell Brand: 'Revolution Is Coming... I Ain't Got a Flicker of Doubt'
- Absent Progressive Uproar, Social Security and Medicare Face Axe
Today's Top News
Jeremy Scahill: Assassinations of U.S. Citizens Largely Ignored at Brennan CIA Hearing
President Obama’s nominee to run the CIA, John Brennan, forcefully defended Obama’s counterterrorism policies, including the increased use of armed drones and the targeted killings of American citizens during his confirmation hearing Thursday. "None of the central questions that should have been asked of John Brennan were asked in an effective way," says Jeremy Scahill, author of the forthcoming book, "Dirty Wars." "In the cases where people like Sen. Angus King or Sen. Ron Wyden would ask a real question, for instance, about whether or not the CIA has the right to kill U.S. citizens on U.S. soil, the questions were very good. Brennan would then offer up a non-answer. And then there’d be almost no follow-up." Scahill went on to say, "[Brennan] has served for more than four years as the assassination czar, and it basically looked like they were discussing purchasing a used car on Capitol Hill. I mean, it was total kabuki oversight. And that’s a devastating commentary on where things stand.