EMAIL SIGN UP!
Most Popular This Week
- Arctic Methane "Burp": A Climate Catastrophe with $60 Trillion Pricetag
- UN Climate Report Will 'Scare Wits Out of Everybody'
- Obama 'Disappointed' with Release of Celebrated War Reporter
- Democratic Establishment Unmasked: Prime Defenders of NSA Bulk Spying
- 'Obscene': Bipartisan Effort to Profit on Student Debt Blasted by Critics
Today's Top News
From the Mouth of Babes: President Obama, End Mountaintop Removal Now
In Appalachia, children are 42 percent more likely to have birth defects if they live near a mountaintop removal coal mine. More people are likely to die from cardiovascular disease, and 50 percent are more likely to die of cancer—if they live near one of these sites of utter destruction.
What if those were your loved ones? That is the question posed in a new video released today by Appalachian Voices with a strong message to President Obama: No more excuses. End mountaintop removal now.
“Arsenic, mercury, selenium, lead, magnesium, hydrogen sulfide …” are a few of the toxic compounds the children cite that contribute to a range of health impacts in the coal-mining regions of Appalachia.
The video was produced by Appalachian Voices for ILoveMountains.org, a campaign of a broad coalition of regional groups, the Alliance for Appalachia, to focus national attention on the tragedy of mountaintop removal, which has destroyed more than 500 of America’s oldest mountains and buried or poisoned more than 2,000 miles of streams.