For Immediate Release
10am Today: Thousands to March On Pittsburgh To Confront Corporate Polluters & Demand Green Economy
Dimock, PA and Wyoming Residents Lead Call On President Obama & EPA To Take Real Action On Fracking, Re-Open Critical Investigation Into Groundwater Contamination
PITTSBURGH, PA - This Monday thousands of youth activists from the Power Shift 2013 summit will take to the streets of Pittsburgh, PA to confront corporate polluters & demand they join the fight for 100% clean energy.
Residents from Dimock, PA and Wyoming whose water has been contaminated by fracking will lead the call on President Obama to take real action against fracking, starting by re-opening critical investigation into groundwater contamination.
The March will go across downtown Pittsburgh, confronting big polluters along the way, calling on businesses and banks along the way to stop financing fossil fuels, and permitting fracking, and instead invest their resources in creating a clean & just economy that can help solve climate change and put people to work.
What: Thousands of young people marching for a green economy, to call for an investigation into Fracking pollution, and to stand up to PNC bank for funding mountaintop removal mining.
Who: Thousands of young people attending this week's national PowerShift conference.
Speakers at the rally include:
- Craig Stevens of Dimock, PA and Deb Thomas of Wyoming will lead the rally to call on President Obama and the EPA to re-open investigations into fracking-related groundwater contamination
- Teri Blanton of Kentuckians for the Commonwealth , and Junior Walk of Coal River Mountain Watch, two anti-MTR activists from Appalachia who will speak to the disastrous impact of PNC’s investments in MTR
- XiuhteCatl and Itzcuauhtli, two internationally-recognized young indigenous activists from Colorado will perform
- Local hip hop artist and activist Jasiri X will open and close the rally
When and where:
- Rally begins at Allegheny Landing Park in downtown Pittsburgh next to PNC Park
- The March will take off at 11:30am, cross the Roberto Clemente Bridge, go left on Fort Duquesne, right on 9th Street, right on Liberty Ave, then right on 6th Street and back to Allegheny Landing Park
**Interviews available with community members directly impacted by MTR & fracking, and the organizers of Power Shift 2013**