EMAIL SIGN UP!
The press releases posted here have been submitted by
For further information or to comment on this press release, please contact the organization directly.
Most Popular This Week
- US Is an Oligarchy Not a Democracy, says Scientific Study
- DOJ Investigation Confirms: Albuquerque Police 'Executing' Citizens
- What Do the Koch Brothers Really Want?
- Tutu: Climate Crisis Demands 'Anti-Apartheid-Style Boycott' of Fossil Fuel Industry
- Pulitzer Vindicates: Snowden Journalists Win Top Honor
Today's Top News
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
U.S. Senators and National Groups Representing Millions to Demand that Social Security Benefit Cuts be Taken Off the Deficit-Reduction Table
WASHINGTON - July 8 - U.S. Senators Bernie Sanders (I(VT), Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI) and a coalition of more than 300 organizations representing more than 50 million Americans will discuss their plans to oppose any cuts to Social Security benefits as part of a deficit-reduction deal, during a telephone press conference TODAY, July 8, at 11am EDT.
The Obama Administration and Congressional budget negotiators reportedly are seriously considering Social Security benefit cuts, including cuts to the annual cost-of-living adjustment (COLA), even though Social Security does not contribute a penny to he deficit. A COLA cut would result in significant cuts to current and future beneficiaries, especially to women, low-income persons and the very old. An analysis of the proposal under consideration is here.
A video of President Obama’s past statements about Social Security benefit cuts, including the COLA, also will be released.
Telephone press conference with U.S. Senators Bernie Sanders, Sheldon Whitehouse and leaders of national organizations representing millions of Americans who will discuss their plans to oppose any cuts to Social Security benefits as part of a deficit-reduction deal
- U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders (I-VT)
- U.S. Senator Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI)
- Charles Loveless, Director of Legislation, AFSCME
- Ed Coyle, Executive Director, Alliance for Retired Americans
- Terry O’Neill, President, National Organization for Women (NOW)
- Max Richtman, Acting CEO, National Committee to Preserve Social Security and MedicareRepresentative, MoveOn.org
(712) 432-0900, Code 242574#