For Immediate Release
Make Tax Dodgers Pay Up
WASHINGTON - When you pay your taxes, consider the wealthy and corporate tax dodgers.
If you paid more than $10 to the IRS, then you paid more than Verizon, Boeing, Bank of America, Citigroup and General Electric. And you probably paid a higher percentage of your income than the billionaires who appear on the pages of the Forbes 400.
Do you believe that before Congress makes deep budget cuts they should reverse huge tax breaks for millionaires and deadbeat corporations?
Join a national movement this week…You can start by supporting the Fairness in Taxation Act, which would add tax brackets for millionaire income earners and generate $78 billion a year. You can also support the Stop Tax Haven Abuse Act (sponsored by Sen. Levin/Rep. Doggett) closing accountant tax dodges by profitable corporations – and generate $100 billion a year.
CLICK TO CALL:
Calling is better than email! Use our nifty calling technology that includes a set of talking points. Tell your Congressional members you don't want to see any budget cuts until billionaires and U.S. multinational companies pay their fair share. Ask them to cosponsor our two legislative proposals, the Fairness in Taxation Act and the Stop Tax Havens Abuse Act.
WRITE A LETTER TO EDITOR:
Use our handy letter to the editor device to submit a letter about budget cuts and corporate tax havens. We've included a draft letter that you can personalize.
GOT MORE THAN 5 MINUTES?
You can join or organize a US Uncut Tax Day Action.There are already more than 80 local actions planned between April 15 and April 18. See the list of organized events. If there isn’t one in your town or neighborhood, organize one!
- Read our report, Unnecessary Austerity, produced with the Institute for Policy Studies. The report looks at tax shifts over the last 50 years and identifies $400 billion in new revenue proposals.
- Check out our talking points on corporate tax dodging.
- See what our partner organizations are doing: Visit Citizens for Tax Justice and US UNCUT.
- Take a look at a special issue of Bloomberg Business Week, “How To Pay No Taxes.”
- Learn about Wealth for the Common Good, a group of high income and wealthy individuals who advocate for higher taxes…on themselves.
- Do you have investments? Are you a business owner? Join others who believe tax havens create an unfair advantage for tax dodgers, Business & Investors Against Tax Haven Abuse.
Institute for Policy Studies turns Ideas into Action for Peace, Justice and the Environment. We strengthen social movements with independent research, visionary thinking, and links to the grassroots, scholars and elected officials. I.F. Stone once called IPS "the think tank for the rest of us." Since 1963, we have empowered people to build healthy and democratic societies in communities, the US, and the world. Click here to learn more, or read the latest below.