EMAIL SIGN UP!
The press releases posted here have been submitted by
For further information or to comment on this press release, please contact the organization directly.
Most Popular This Week
- Understanding the Propaganda Campaign Against Public Education
- The Real Irish American Story Not Taught in Schools
- Israeli Youth: 'We Refuse to Serve in the Occupation Army'
- Evacuate the Economy (or By the Way, Your Home Is On Fire)
- Students and Faculty Reject Idea of Bush-era War Criminal as Honoree
Today's Top News
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
ACLU At Guantánamo Monitoring Unconstitutional Military Commissions This Week
GUANTÁNAMO BAY, Cuba - February 15 - The American Civil Liberties Union is at Guantánamo this week to monitor the military commission pre-trial hearing of Sudanese national Noor Uthman Muhammed. The ACLU has been present as an independent observer at nearly every military commission hearing since 2004 and continues to see no indication that the proceedings are fair, impartial or in accordance with constitutional principles.
Sarah Mehta, attorney with the ACLU Human Rights Program, will be observing this week's proceedings.
Muhammed is the only detainee in Guantánamo currently facing war crimes charges. He is alleged to have provided material support to terrorist organizations, including al Qaeda. The ACLU continues to believe that the military commissions are a second class system of justice and that terrorism suspects should be prosecuted in federal courts.