The press releases posted here have been submitted by
For further information or to comment on this press release, please contact the organization directly.
Most Popular This Week
- Members of Congress Declare "Immunity" from Insider Trading Probe
- Afraid to Stoke Populist Ire, Obama Abandons 'Inequality' Rhetoric
- NSA 'Bombshell': Agency Spied on Prominent American Citizens
- Unpatriotic US Corporations Becoming Hot Political Issue That Unites Right and Left
- Kneeling in Fenway Park to the Gods of War
Today's Top News
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Tel: 212-633-6700 x13
Charlie Rose Opens Up the Deficit Debate
NEW YORK - November 19 - Tonight's broadcast of the
Charlie Rose Show will feature a discussion of the budget deficit with
progressive economist Dean Baker of the Center for Economic and Policy
Research and Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-Ill.).
As FAIR's recent action alert noted (11/16/10), the Rose show's discussion of the White House deficit commission has been dominated by right-leaning guests who were supportive of the plan put forward by commission co-chairs Erskine Bowles and Alan Simpson. FAIR pointed out that experts including Baker have argued that the co-chairs' report is fundamentally flawed. And Schakowsky, who is a member of the deficit commission, has put forth her own progressive plan for deficit reduction.
FAIR thanks those who wrote to the Charlie Rose Show and encouraged them to expand their guest list. And the Charlie Rose show should be commended for taking these criticisms seriously.
The fact that the program is broadening its discussion is a testament to the power of media activism.