EMAIL SIGN UP!
The press releases posted here have been submitted by
For further information or to comment on this press release, please contact the organization directly.
Most Popular This Week
Today's Top News
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT: Communities Against Prop. 23
Bruce Mirken, 415-846-7758
Abel Haptegeorgis, 510-910-2672
Voters of Color Crucial to Prop. 23 Outcome
Massive Effort to Reach Latino, Asian, African-American Voters May Have Turned Tide Against 23 & 26; Victory Party Tonight at The New Parish in Oakland
- Raised over $1.1 million dollars specifically to reach voters of color and low-income communities.
- Had over 250,000 one-on-one conversations with voters through door-knocking and phone-banking.
- Sent direct mail pieces in English, Spanish and Chinese to over 280,000 households of color.
- Blanketed the airwaves of Spanish language radio, particularly in southern California, with a $200,000 ad campaign in the last two weeks of the campaign. The spots featured the voices of Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa and human rights legend Dolores Huerta.
- Enlisted Huerta and two other human rights legends, Van Jones and Pam Tau Lee, as high-profile endorsers.
- Mounted high-visibility events, including a dramatic protest at Tesoro’s Wilmington refinery that gave local residents affected by the pollution from the Tesoro and Valero refineries a media platform to address the harm Prop. 23 would do to their communities.
- Inspired a solar-powered hip-hop tour, The Clean Energy Tour, that took a message of clean energy and voter empowerment to college campuses around California.
- Created a popular hip-hop No on 23 anthem that helped generate buzz for the campaign.