EMAIL SIGN UP!
The press releases posted here have been submitted by
For further information or to comment on this press release, please contact the organization directly.
Most Popular This Week
- A Distinction Without A Difference: Koch Bros Work to Distance Themselves From The (Unpopular, Expensive Etc) Shutdown They Orchestrated
- Their Real Goal: To Make Us All So Cynical About Government, We Give Up
- Are Utility Companies Out to Destroy Solar's 'Rooftop Revolution'?
- On the Sabotage of Democracy
- How Redistribution to the Rich Has Broken the Back of America
Today's Top News
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT: Senator Bernie Sanders
Michael Briggs or Will Wiquist (202) 224-5141
Senator Sanders’ Statement on Afghanistan
WASHINGTON - December 1 - Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) made the following statement after President Obama announced tonight that he will send 30,000 more U.S. troops to Afghanistan.
“I agree with President Obama that it would be a setback for democracy and stability if the Taliban regained power, but I have serious concerns.
“First, why are American taxpayers and our brave soldiers bearing almost all the burden in what should be an international effort? Where are Europe, Russia, China and the rest of the world? Second, why in the midst of a severe recession – with 17 percent of our people unemployed or under-employed and one out of four kids on food stamps – are we going to be spending $100 billion a year on Afghanistan when we have so many pressing needs at home? Third, I worry about how we can forge a dependable partnership with an Afghan government that is ineffective and corrupt.
“My nightmare is that we may get caught in a quagmire situation from which there will be no successful exit.”