EMAIL SIGN UP!
The press releases posted here have been submitted by
For further information or to comment on this press release, please contact the organization directly.
Most Popular This Week
- 'Sleepwalking to Extinction': Capitalism and the Destruction of Life and Earth
- Federal Judge Slams DoJ for Not Prosecuting Wall Street Execs
- What's Right with Sweden? Prisons Close as Demand Falls
- Sanders Goes on Offense Against Austerity with 'Progressive Budget Blueprint'
- Obamacare's Problems Run Deeper Than Glitchy Website, Cancellation Notices
Today's Top News
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT: Food & Water Watch
Julie Anderson, (202) 683-2500
Kansas Governor Sebelius Vetoes Milk Labeling Bill and Protects Consumers
Statement of Food & Water Watch Executive Director Wenonah Hauter
WASHINGTON - April 24 - "Kansas Governor Kathleen Sebelius made a strong stand for consumers yesterday by vetoing a milk labeling bill that would have taken away consumers' right to know how their milk is produced. Had the governor not vetoed the bill, dairy farmers who do not use recombinant bovine growth hormone (rBGH) would have had trouble labeling their milk as such.
"Consumer groups, small dairy producers and retailers overwhelmingly opposed this proposed legislation. As the nominee to head the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Governor Sebelius leaves a legacy of support for the public interest in Kansas with this veto, which marks the third failure of this proposal in the state. We encourage the Kansas State Legislature to follow the governor's lead in protecting consumers and farmers by upholding the veto."