The press releases posted here have been submitted by
For further information or to comment on this press release, please contact the organization directly.
Most Popular This Week
- Members of Congress Declare "Immunity" from Insider Trading Probe
- Afraid to Stoke Populist Ire, Obama Abandons 'Inequality' Rhetoric
- Supreme Court's Women in Scathing Dissent on Contraception Ruling
- NSA 'Bombshell': Agency Spied on Prominent American Citizens
- Unpatriotic US Corporations Becoming Hot Political Issue That Unites Right and Left
Today's Top News
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Statement of NAACP Leaders on the Passing of Noted Historian And Spingarn Medalist John Hope Franklin
WASHINGTON - March 26 - NAACP Chairman Julian Bond and NAACP President and CEO Benjamin Todd Jealous released the following statement on the passing of noted historian and activist John Hope Franklin:
America has lost a real treasure with the death of John Hope Franklin. He was a pioneer in democratizing American history, giving black Americans a proper place in the development of the United States. His magnificent work, From Slavery to Freedom, insures people of color will not be forgotten when the American story is told. He was more than America's most prominent historian - his civic activism set a high standard for academics, marching in Selma, serving on numerous commissions and advising presidents. He is irreplaceable and will be much missed.
John Hope Franklin was the 1995 recipient of the NAACP Spingarn Medal, the Association's highest honor, given for distinguished merit and achievement among Americans of African descent.