Get News & Views Updates
The press releases posted here have been submitted by
For further information or to comment on this press release, please contact the organization directly.
Most Popular This Week
Today's Top News
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Rethinking Afghanistan: New Full-Length Documentary Released Online Offers Insight Into America's Costly Quagmire
LOS ANGELES - February 27 - Yesterday Brave New Foundation released the first chapter of "Rethink Afghanistan," a new full-length documentary about the U.S.' escalating military involvement in the country. Directed by Robert Greenwald, creator of Uncovered: The War on Iraq and Iraq for Sale: The War Profiteers, Rethink Afghanistan will forgo a traditional theatrical release and will instead be posted in installments on YouTube and at rethinkafghanistan.com.
Brave New Foundation sent the trailer to the film to its email list of 1.3 million people with a link to the full 12 minute long chapter entitled "Troops." Future chapters of Rethink Afghanistan will address the financial cost of the war, the role of Pakistan in the conflict, civilian casualties, the plight of Afghan women, and terrorism.
You can watch both the trailer and the full first installment at: http://www.rethinkafghanistan.
The documentary series includes expert witness and testimony by:
- Andrew Bacevich - Professor of International Relations and History in the Dept. of International Relations at Boston University.
- Stephen Kinzer - Award winning foreign correspondent who has covered more than 50 countries on five continents.
- Carl Conetta - Co-Director of the Project on Defense Alternatives.
- Steve Coll - Pulitzer prize-winning writer of Ghost Wars: the Secret History of the CIA, Afghanistan, and Bin Laden, from the Soviet Invasion to September 10, 2001.
- Dr. Ramazan Bashardost ? Former parliamentary and current candidate for president of Afghanistan.
- Lawrence Korb - Senior Fellow at American Progress and a Senior Advisor to the Center for Defense Information.
-Shukria Barakzai - Female Afghan member of parliament, interviewed directly from Kabul.
At a time when the country faces a damaged reputation abroad and an economic catastrophe at home, expanding the war in Afghanistan without debating a comprehensive exit strategy is a serious mistake. In releasing Rethink Afghanistan, Robert Greenwald, said: "This is an ambitious undertaking; our documentary will be released in a novel way, online and segmented and will be able to incorporate events as they are happening along with expert testimony and opinions. At a time when the country is in serious economic crisis, it will be very difficult for the the president to advance his domestic agenda while dealing with a quagmire on his hands."
For more information on the launch of the campaign or to host an interview or speaking opportunity with Robert Greenwald participants please contact: