EMAIL SIGN UP!
The press releases posted here have been submitted by
For further information or to comment on this press release, please contact the organization directly.
Most Popular This Week
- US Is an Oligarchy Not a Democracy, says Scientific Study
- DOJ Investigation Confirms: Albuquerque Police 'Executing' Citizens
- Pulitzer Vindicates: Snowden Journalists Win Top Honor
- Krugman: Worried About Oligarchy? You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet
- Study: Fracking Emissions Up To 1000x Higher Than EPA Estimates
Today's Top News
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT: Friends of The Earth
Nick Berning, 202-222-0748
Ben Schreiber, 202-222-0752
Massive Nuclear Bailout Removed From Stimulus
Loan guarantees coveted by nuclear industry’s lobbyists removed in conference committee
WASHINGTON - February 17 - Legislative language authorizing up to $50 billion in loan guarantees for the nuclear industry was stripped from the economic stimulus package today. Friends of the Earth President Brent Blackwelder had the following response:
"This is a huge win-for our planet and for taxpayers who want stimulus funds to be invested wisely. The bailout in question would have thrilled nuclear industry lobbyists but done virtually nothing to stimulate the economy. Taxpayers shouldn't have to foot the bill for the nuclear industry's failures. Congressional leaders did the right thing and prevented waste by removing this bailout."