Sparked by an insurgency among delegates, the California Democratic Party has taken an historic step forward on the issue of impeachment. In a resolution affirmed by the full state party convention Sunday, the Democrats called on the U.S. Congress to use its subpoena power to investigate misdeeds of President Bush and Vice President Cheney – and to hold the Administration accountable “with appropriate remedies and punishment, including impeachment.” The delegate insurgency was coordinated by Progressive Democrats of America and its allies.
While Speaker Pelosi had declared impeachment “off the table,” the Democratic Party rank-and-file has demonstrated its commitment to putting the issue “on” the table. And it’s no longer just the rank-and-file: Even among the members of the convention’s Resolutions Committee (appointed by the California Party chair), the impeachment resolution was the top vote-getter (tied with one other resolution).
Coming on the heels of mass actions and resolutions across the country in support of impeachment, and Congressman Dennis Kucinich’s introduction of Articles of Impeachment against Cheney, this action by the powerful California Democratic Party builds on the pro-impeachment momentum.
The resolution refers to Bush and Cheney having acted in a manner “subversive of the Constitution” by. . .
- using false information to justify the invasion of Iraq
- authorizing “the torture of prisoners of war”
- “authorizing wiretaps on U.S. citizens without obtaining a warrant”
- “disclosing the name of an undercover CIA operative”
- suspending “the historic Writ of Habeas Corpus by ordering the indefinite detention of so-called enemy combatants”
- “signing statements used to ignore or circumvent portions of over 750 Congressional statutes”
The resolution ends by calling for “vigorous investigation” and “appropriate remedies and punishment, including impeachment.”
This action represents the successful culmination of PDA’s one-month, eleven-city barnstorming tour across California – aimed at putting impeachment and ending the occupation of Iraq at the top of the Party’s agenda.