WASHINGTON - The following is being
issued by the Nuclear Policy Research Institute:
Why "Beyond Nuclear Weapons?" In January, historic leaders of US
foreign policy, including Henry Kissinger, Max Kampelman, Thomas Graham,
Jr, and George Shultz among others, gathered and agreed that we must take
the plunge to "A world without nuclear weapons." Wall St. Journal, 4 Jan.
2007, Op-Ed. (http://www.gsinstitute.org/docs/01_04_07_WSJ.pdf) For many
reasons, PNA -- the conference organizers -- and many of the participating
sponsors agree. For one thing, deterrence worked with the Soviets, but will
not, with Al Qaeda and terror groups. We must end the fuel for a potential
nuclear fire. Call today to attend, and obtain conference documents.
This conference will feature:
-- Morning Session, 8:30-9:00 am registration
* Former top nuclear negotiator Tom Graham, who worked with Presidents
Clinton, Bush, Carter, and Ford, on: A World without Nuclear
Weapons? (Wall St. Journal, 4 Jan. 2007).
* Jim Walsh, MIT Security Studies: The Iran Question.
* Dr. Mike McCally, PSR: Preventing Medical Consequences of a Nuclear
* Bi-Partisan Security Group chairman, Robert Grey, former US arms
control ambassador, and GSI president Jonathan Granoff: Non-
Proliferation and WMD Recommendations.
* Helen Caldicott, president, NPRI: Strengthening the NPT Treaty.
* Round Table, Morning speakers, 12:00 Noon
-- Afternoon Session 1:00 to 5:00 pm
* Bob Edgar, Chair, National Council of Churches, Human Needs and
Nuclear Weapons (lunch keynote).
* Preventing Weapons in Space, Co-author of the Treaty on Peaceful
Uses of Outer Space Craig Eisendrath; Laura Grego, Union of
* Round Table, Afternoon speakers, 4:00 pm.
* Reception, 5:00 pm.
* Dinner -- 6:00 pm. Dr. Hans Blix, Chair, WMD Commission, on Weapons
of Terror -- an Update (dinner keynote).
* 8:00 pm, Book Signings, War in Heaven; Weapons of Terror.
Sponsors: LAWS, Project for Nuclear Awareness -- PNA; John and Chara
Haas Charitable Trust; Benefactors: Fred Heldring, Global Interdependence;
Ted Brinton, E.I. DuPont, (ret.), Pendle Hill; Mark Lichty, LAWS.
Sustainers: Matthew Schwartz, MD. Global Security Institute; Nuclear Policy
Research Institute; Physicians for Social Responsibility; Union of
Concerned Scientists; Council for a Livable World.
To attend, please call PNA by Tuesday, March 27, or go to the Web Site
for a full Agenda, list of participating groups, and directions on
PNA: Call director Ed Aguilar, or Christy, conference assistant, at
215-568-1702; D.C., call Julie Enszer at 202-822-9800.