WASHINGTON, DC - March 7 - Tuesday night, John Edwards announced on the DailyKos.com blog: “We will not be participating in the Fox debate.” Edwards became the first presidential candidate to join the growing movement urging the Democratic Party of Nevada to drop Fox as host of an upcoming presidential primary debate.
Also Tuesday night, Nevada Democratic Chair Tom Collins called an emergency conference call of his statewide Executive Board – scheduled for today at 2:45pm EST.
In the two-and-a-half weeks since Nevada Democrats announced the Fox debate, an extensive grassroots campaign has fought back. Over 260,000 people have signed a petition by MoveOn.org Civic Action and Outfoxed director Robert Greenwald that says: “Fox is a mouthpiece for the Republican Party, not a legitimate news channel. The Democratic Party of Nevada should drop Fox as its partner for the presidential primary debate.”
The campaign has also included daily phone calls to the offices of the Nevada’s state and local Democratic offices, daily postings by national and Nevada bloggers raising awareness of the issue, and the launch of www.FoxAttacks.com – which features Greenwald’s new video about Fox’s attacks on Barack Obama that rose to the top of YouTube.
“We applaud John Edwards for sending a clear message to voters, the media, and other candidates: Fox is part of the right-wing smear machine and should not be treated like a legitimate news outlet,” said Eli Pariser, Executive Director of MoveOn.org Civic Action.
Last week, NV Democratic Party Executive Board member Michael Zahara revealed, "This was not a NV Dems decision, this was a unilateral move without the consultation of the Executive Board of the Democratic Party of the State of Nevada, nor the executive boards of the other sponsor states."