PHILADELPHIA -- April 1 -- Camden Anti-Violence and Community Groups to Hold Coordinated Walks and Motorcades to Notorious Spring Garden Gun Shop on Sunday|
Many Organizations Acting Together to Bring Attention to Philly's Rampant Illegal Handgun Distribution System on Anniversary of Dr. Martin Luther King's Riverside Church Speech
WHAT:A series of coordinated walks and motorcades from Philadelphia and Camden locations culminating in a press conference to be held in front of Colosimo's Gun Shop.
- Walks and motorcades begin Sunday, April 3 at:
- 12 Noon: Men United -Mothers In Charge headquarters - Hatfield House, 3201 W Girard Ave, Philadelphia.
- 1 p.m.: CeaseFire PA headquarters - 5th and Market Streets, Philadelphia.
- 1 p.m.: Rutgers/Camden parking lot 14, N. 3rd Street, between Cooper and Pearl, Camden.
- Press Conference: 1: 30 p.m. - Colosimo's Gun Shop, Spring Garden St., between 9th and 10th, Philadelphia.
- Dorothy Johnson-Speight, founder, Mothers In Charge
- Rabbi Arthur Waskow, founder, The Shalom Center
- Bilal Qayyum, co-founder, Men United for a Better Philadelphia
- Jerry Mondesire, president, Philadelphia Chapter, NCAAP
- Diane Edbril, executive director, CeaseFire PA
- Barbara Montgomery, president, Million Mom March of Pennsylvania
- Father Michael Doyle, pastor, Sacred Heart RC Church, Camden
- Bryan Miller, executive director, Ceasefire NJ
WHY: Too many Philadelphia and Camden citizens are killed and wounded with illegal handguns.
To bring attention to the flow of handguns from the legal to the illegal market in Philadelphia, which fuels the rising tide of gun crime and violence on both sides of the Delaware River.
To explain how guns purchased legally at Philadelphia gun shops like Colosimo's end up in the hands of felons and violent teens, due to Philly's efficient illegal handgun distribution system.
To call on political leaders in the region and in Harrisburg to act to permanently stem the flow of illegal guns, particularly to enact moderate handgun purchase limits.
Philadelphia Area Interfaith Peace Network -- firstname.lastname@example.org
Mothers In Charge -- email@example.com
Men United for a Better Philadelphia -- firstname.lastname@example.org
CeaseFire PA -- email@example.com
Ceasefire NJ -- firstname.lastname@example.org
Physicians for Social Responsibility -- email@example.com
Million Mom March of Pennsylvania -- firstname.lastname@example.org
Veterans for Peace -- email@example.com