WASHINGTON -- April 1 -- News Advisory:
Survivors of gun violence victims, including Sarah Brady and Columbine father Tom Mauser, will urge Congress to reject bills that would give broad and unprecedented special legal protection to gun sellers at a press conference Tuesday, April 5 at 12:15 p.m. in Room 538 of the Dirksen Senate Office Building.
The Brady Campaign and Million Mom March will unveil print and television advertising urging elected officials who claim to support a "culture of life" to reject the legislation, which would make it easier for criminals to arm themselves.
The legislation, S. 397 in the Senate and H.R. 800 in the House, could be the subject of floor votes at any time.
WHEN: 12:15 pm Tuesday, April 5th, 2005
WHERE: Senate Banking Committee Hearing Room, Dirksen Senate Office Building, Room 538, First and C Streets NW, Washington DC
- Senator Jack Reed (D-R.I.)
- Sarah Brady, wife, Reagan Press Secretary Jim Brady
- Tom Mauser, father, slain Columbine student Daniel Conner Mauser
- James Ballenger, husband, slain D.C. Sniper victim Hong Im Ballenger
- Michael Pavelka (LAPD), father, slain Burbank Police Officer Matthew Pavelka
- Family of Danny Guzman, shot and killed Christmas Eve 1999 after gun maker left doors wide open to the illegal gun market