Common Dreams NewsCenter

We Can't Do It Without You!
 

Home | About Us | Donate | Signup | Archives | Search

Home > Progressive Community > NewsWire > For Immediate Release
   
Printer Friendly Version E-Mail This Article
   
Union of Concerned Scientists
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
FEBRUARY 14, 2005
3:35 PM
CONTACT: Union of Concerned Scientists 
Stephen Young, 202-223-6133
David Wright, 617-547-5552
 
Union of Concerned Scientists: National Missile Defense System Test Fails Again; Pentagon Claims are Irresponsible and Dangerous
 

WASHINGTON -- February 14 -- Today's failed anti- missile test, the second in a row in which the interceptor never left its silo, highlights a key problem with the Bush administration's misguided anti-missile program. "It's clear that the program is being pushed ahead for political reasons regardless of its capability," said David Wright, co-director and senior scientist in the Global Security program at the Union of Concerned Scientists.

"It's as if Henry Ford started up his automobile production line and began selling cars without ever taking one for a test drive. This interceptor has never been tested in an intercept test. Yet the Pentagon has already put eight of them in silos and is building at least another dozen before even knowing if they work," Wright said.

Of course, getting the interceptors out of the silo is only a part of the problem. Several recent technical analyses, including UCS's May 2004 analysis Technical Realities, showed that even with a working interceptor the anti-missile system could be defeated by very simple decoys that could easily be built by any country fielding a long-range missile.

"For the Pentagon to assert that the system has a defensive capability, in the face of such studies and in the absence of realistic tests, is irresponsible and potentially dangerous," said Wright.

In December 2002, President Bush declared his intention to deploy an operational anti-missile system by 2004. That deadline came and went without being met, and in the more than two years since the president's announcement there has not been a successful intercept test.

The administration has implicitly recognized the problems with the system. Officials recently stated that the system will not be declared operational, as it intended to do last year, but will instead be kept as an "emergency alert" capability.

"This administration has bought a lemon and there is no way to make lemonade," said Stephen Young, senior analyst at the Union of Concerned Scientists. "Given the system's track record, an 'emergency alert' capability provides no comfort to anyone. Congress should not spend another dime of the public's money until it can show this system would have some capability against a real attack."

###

Printer Friendly Version E-Mail This Article
Common Dreams NewsCenter is a non-profit news service
providing breaking news and views for the Progressive Community.

The press release posted here has been provided to Common Dreams NewsWire by one of the many progressive organizations who make up America's Progressive Community. If you wish to comment on this press release or would like more information, please contact the organization directly.
*all times Eastern US (GMT-5:00)

Making News?
Read our Guidelines for Submitting News Releases

CommonDreams.org is an Internet-based progressive news and grassroots activism organization, founded in 1997.
We are a nonprofit, progressive, independent and nonpartisan organization.

Home | About Us | Donate | Signup | Archives | Search

To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good.


www.commondreams.org