Common Dreams NewsCenter

We Can't Do It Without You!
 

Home | About Us | Donate | Signup | Archives | Search

Home > Progressive Community > NewsWire > For Immediate Release
   
Printer Friendly Version E-Mail This Article
   
MoveOn Voter Fund
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
APRIL 28, 2004
10:32 PM
CONTACT:  MoveOn Voter Fund
Jessica Smith, Kawana Lloyd, or Trevor FitzGibbon (202) 822-5200
 
NYT Ad Reminds Public of Bush Negligence Before 9/11
 

WASHINGTON - April 28 - As President Bush today continues to shirk responsibility for the CIA’s finding in the summer of 2001 that Osama bin Ladin was planning to strike inside the United States, MoveOn Voter Fund is running a full-page print ad in the New York Times which reads: “BIN LADIN DETERMINED TO STRIKE IN U.S. President Bush Received this Warning Weeks Before September 11, 2001. He Did Nothing.”

The ad is based on the title of the Presidential Daily Briefing (PDB) of August 6, 2001, which the President still claims was not enough of an indication of a terrorist danger and “said nothing about an attack on America.” [Remarks by the President to the White House Press Travel Pool, 4/11/04]

“The President and Vice President speak before the 9/11 Commission today, and Americans expect the truth,” said Wes Boyd, President of MoveOn Voter Fund. “The memo posed to the President in August of ‘01 couldn’t be clearer, and his failure to claim any responsibility is indefensible.”

This is the same president who invaded Iraq without waiting for UN weapons inspectors to determine whether Saddam Hussein constituted a threat—rushing into a war that so far has claimed the lives of more than 700 American soldiers, plus thousands of Iraqi civilians. Even the Administration now admits there were neither dangerous weapons nor an imminent threat from Iraq.

“When provided very clear information that Bin Ladin had planned an attack on the United States, President Bush failed to act to protect the American people. Instead, he rushed into war with a nation that posed no threat to the United States, had been disarmed by the United Nations and that had no connection with 9/11,” continued Boyd.

Bush was briefed at his Texas ranch on the contents of the August 6, 2001 memo, but earlier this month he claimed the PDB “was no indication of a terrorist threat” and “said nothing about an attack on America.” [Remarks by the President to the White House Press Travel Pool, 4/11/04]

But the PDB specifically said there were “patterns of suspicious activity in this country consistent with preparations for hijackings or other types of attacks” with the FBI “conducting approximately 70 full field investigations” including one into allegations that “a group of Bin Ladin supporters was in the U.S. planning attacks with explosives.” [Presidential Daily Brief, 8/6/01]

The President said there was no information about a “time and a place [of] an attack.” But the PDB specifically said that terrorists had engaged in “recent surveillance of federal buildings in New York” and that “Bin Ladin told followers he wanted to retaliate in Washington.” [Presidential Daily Brief, 8/6/01]

To view the New York Times full page ad, visit: www.moveonvoterfund.org.

###

Printer Friendly Version E-Mail This Article
Common Dreams NewsCenter is a non-profit news service
providing breaking news and views for the Progressive Community.

The press release posted here has been provided to Common Dreams NewsWire by one of the many progressive organizations who make up America's Progressive Community. If you wish to comment on this press release or would like more information, please contact the organization directly.
*all times Eastern US (GMT-5:00)

Making News?
Read our Guidelines for Submitting News Releases

CommonDreams.org is an Internet-based progressive news and grassroots activism organization, founded in 1997.
We are a nonprofit, progressive, independent and nonpartisan organization.

Home | About Us | Donate | Signup | Archives | Search

To inform. To inspire. To ignite change for the common good.


www.commondreams.org