The American Way of Poverty: Sasha Abramsky on the Forgotten Poor
A new study shows that income inequality in America is at a record high. According to an analysis of tax filings, the income gap between the richest 1 percent of Americans and the other 99 percent widened to unprecedented levels in 2012. The top 1 percent of U.S. earners collected more than 19 percent of household income, breaking a record previously set in 1927. Income inequality in the United States has been growing for almost three decades.
Democracy Now! speaks with Sasha Abramsky, author of the new book, "The American Way of Poverty: How the Other Half Still Lives." It is written in the spirit of Michael Harrington’s groundbreaking 1962 book, "The Other America," in which he chronicled the lives of people excluded from the 'age of affluence.' Harrington’s book went on to inspire President Lyndon B. Johnson’s subsequent "war on poverty."
© 2013 Democracy Now!