In Their Own Words: Occupy Oakland According to City Officials

Published on
by
the San Jose Mercury News

In Their Own Words: Occupy Oakland According to City Officials

by
Daniel Willis and Thomas Peele

Occupy Oakland - Nov 2, 2011

Journalists constantly struggle to go beyond the official spin and report on a deeper level about government actions.

It's a daily fight, one in which we need to be ever diligent against getting snowed by officials and falling into the role of stenographers rather than independent reporters. All of us, me included, can find ourselves regretful when we learn that the bureaucratic rhetoric we reported turns out to be far from reality.

That's why the best reporting tracks government action by document rather than lip service. It's why obtaining government communications is a vital and why I have dedicated my 2012 columns to the obtaining public officials' e-mails and texts.

Today, rather than write this column, I am going to let the bureaucrats write it. What follows are city of Oakland e-mails obtained under the Public Records Act in which top officials discuss Occupy Oakland and the tent city that sprang up last year outside City Hall. City officials' attempts to oust the protesters and the violent response that followed helped turn Oakland into an epicenter of the national Occupy movement. The emails' writers include public relations people, lawyers, and top police officials, including a deputy police chief, Jeffrey Israel, who has since been demoted to captain.

These were the people assigned to decide how to deal with protesters and shape the city's image under an increasingly glaring spotlight. With the help of database producer Daniel J. Willis and as part of our commitment to digital journalism, I begin today a three-part series comprised of emails written by and to Oakland bureaucrats as more and more people poured into Frank H. Ogawa Plaza.

From: Christopher Bolton
To: Susan Piper, Karen Boyd
CC: Reygan Harmon, Johnna Watson, Cynthia Perkins
Sent: Tue 10/11/2011 8:52 AM
Subject: RE: Ally Rasmussen from KTVU calling re how long we are going to allow protestors to stay in the Plaza

Our media plan so far is to not provide voice or on-camera statements as to not make the story bigger or more attractive to air. If the requested answer or statement is not contained in the body below, we are not currently providing it:

Question: How long does Oakland/OPD plan on allowing protestors to camp?

Our goal is to facilitate peaceful assemblies. Often, law-enforcement activity, no matter how minor, is seen as highly adversarial in these situations. We will continue to weigh the need to cite citizens for minor infractions against their overall need and right to assemble peacefully in a public place.
Background:

Last week, following protests in other U.S. cities, the Oakland Police Department learned that a similar "Occupy Oakland" event was planned for Monday October 10, 2011, at 4:00 PM, in Frank Ogawa Plaza. In order to facilitate a peaceful assembly, the Department attempted to establish communications with a planning group this past Saturday. The group lacks any centralized organization or formal leadership and efforts at establishing communication failed. We had hoped to learn the group's intent and objective in order to craft an operations plan to facilitate both their and the public's needs.

Last night, approximately 500 citizens peacefully gathered. The crowd diminished to about 150 by 8:00pm. Approximately 20 tents remained occupied overnight. There have been no reports of disturbances requiring police intervention.

What is the City's/OPD's plan?

The Oakland Police Department will continue to facilitate peaceful gatherings and marches. The intent of the Oakland Police Department is to uphold constitutional rights and facilitate the 1st Amendment right of free speech.

- We will facilitate any peaceful demonstrations or marches as long as it does not disrupt traffic or intersections.

- We will protect life, property and maintain public peace and order for all involved.

- We will proactively and repeatedly make every reasonable attempt to establish and maintain dialogue to facilitate the peaceful expression of speech and right to assembly.

- Oakland Municipal Code prohibits occupying parks at night, but at this time we continue to assess and weigh the need to cite citizens for minor infractions against their overall need and right to assemble peacefully in a public place.

- In the event specific individuals in a crowd engage in illegal behavior, we will assess the need to arrest the individual(s) based on the seriousness of the crime or danger to public safety.

How many officers are assigned to this event?

We do not expect any problems associated with this group, however, contingency plans have been made in order to quickly, effectively, and efficiently respond should the need arise.

From: Albert Lujan
To: Arturo Sanchez, Sharon Cornu, Susan Piper, Karen Boyd, Michelle Taylor-Lloyd, Derin Minor, Richard Cowan, Aliza Gallo
Sent: Tue 10/11/2011 9:27 AM
Subject: Occupy Oakland

Good morning folks,

Do we have a position or statement regarding the encampment in the plaza? Are we in solidarity? Do they have a right to be there as long as they want? Are there any ordinances that prohibit their actions? We just want to be prepared in case we get calls. We've only received one so far.


From: Sharon Cornu
To: Albert Lujan, Arturo Sanchez, Susan Piper, Karen Boyd, Michelle Taylor-Lloyd, Derin Minor, Richard Cowan, Aliza Gallo
CC: Ellen Dillard
Sent: Tue 10/11/2011 9:27 AM
Subject: RE: Occupy Oakland

The activity is protected and to the best of my knowledge we have not had incidents. I stopped by on the way out last night and we have many friends in the crowd. If people call, you can say:

- it's happening here like it is in many other cities across the county (NY, DC, LA, Boston)

- OPD is monitoring it closely but has instructions to respect the First Amendment

- We checked and the protesters are respecting the historic Plaza Tree

- Congresswoman Lee has sent a support statement

- The fastest way to send a comment to Mayor Quan is tovisit her website at www.oaklandnet.com/contactmayor.asp

From: Arturo Sanchez
To: Deanna Santana, Alexandra Orologas
CC: Brooke Levin, Jeffrey Israel, Christopher Bolton
Sent: Wed 10/12/2011 9:04 AM
Subject: Occupy Wall Street

Deann,

I spoke with both Brooke and DC Israel this morning. The Occupy Wallstreet group has no centralized leadership. As a result it will be difficult to communicate with them about policies and rules. Brooke, Derin, and I will be walking the encampment at 9:15. What I recommend is that we issue a flyer advising them of some basic rules. I have prepared a draft flyer which I would like to hand out before 11 am today. I believe it covers the basics and does so in a non-confrontational way. I will proceed on this track unless you believe it not to be appropriate.

From: Arturo Sanchez
To: Jeffrey Israel, Derin Minor
CC: Brooke Levin, Alexandra Orologas
Sent: Wed 10/12/2011 1:02 PM
Subject: the finalized finalized flyer

All;

The flyer will be delivered shortly to information desk. It has a deadline of 4pm for them to take down things tied to light posts and or other city equipment.

Derin,

If items are not down can some of your staff take them down? Should untie and leave folded neatly near the area. If they are in process of taking down lets make sure it is down. Thanks.

DC Israel,

Can we make sure OPD Officer is there to assure staff safety? Thanks!


From: Arturo Sanchez
To: Jeffrey Israel, Derin Minor
CC: Brooke Levin, Alexandra Orologas, Karen Boyd, Susan Piper
Sent: Wed 10/12/2011 1:31 PM
Subject: RE: the finalized finalized flyer

Derin,

The individual with the other tarp appears unwilling tot take down their tarp. We may have to cut it down but it will likely lead to confrontation. Open to peoples input as to whether this is track we want to go.


From: Jeffrey Israel
To: Arturo Sanchez
Sent: Wed 10/12/2011 2:54 PM
Subject: RE: the finalized finalized flyer

This is a policy decision by the administration. However, if directives are not followed and there are no consequences it is likely seen as an opportunity to do whatever. On the flip side, we have to pick our battles. We could issue a verbal warning. Then come back in a few hours and offer him another opportunity to take it down. We can ensure an officer with a camera records everything.

From: Barry Hoffman
To: Serge Babka
CC: Steven Tull
Sent: Thu 10/13/2011 8:45 AM
Subject: 150 Frank Ogawa plaza

Today, 13 Oct 2011, I visited Frank Ogawa Plaza and walked onto the grassy area of the park. I was chatting with some of the protesters when I was confronted by a small group of participants. The group said that they had establish a "counsel" of their tent city and that I was violating their law. The police were not allowed on the grass area without permission.. When I declined the request to leave the park, they tried to summon their security forces who were apparently still sleeping. The unidentified "counsel member" implied that they would remove officers by force if their new city was invaded and we needed to ask permission to enter the park.

I mention this as a possible officer safety hazard and that some of the protesters are craving confrontation with the police regardless if any enforcement action is being taken. The majority of these folks seem nice but some are not. FYI

From: Arturo Sanchez
To: Derin Minor, Brooke Levin, Steven Tull
CC: Alexandra Orologas, Jeffrey Israel, Anthony Batts, Howard Jordan, Mark Hoffmann, Deanna Santana, Sharon Cornu, Lewis Cohen
Sent: Thu 10/13/2011 9:21 AM
Subject: Camp update and walkthrough

A brief update:

The camp increase by about 15-17 tents (by my count), they generally abided by sound restrictions not using amplified sound until after 5pm but hey did not get a permit. There remains one tarp that I asked to have taken down up in its place. The location now looks a lot better as they have removed the cardboard and plastic from the bench area. I am generally not happy about the tarp being tied to the poles, but I will defer to facilities staff as to whether we push this issue or not. From my perspective it may not be the issue over which we would want to push a confrontation. A confrontation now may provide more reason for them to act out on Saturday when there may be more anarchists and or people here.

Generally the park from my window looks clean but it is difficult to tell how much of that is due to Derin's crews, which I have seen out on the plaza very early everyday, or the work of the camp folks.

Items that remain of concern to me:

1. The cooking tent. I am asking OFD to take a look to make sure everything looks safe. The last thing I want is for there to be a fire.

2. The tree. I think we should try and take a closer look to make sure it is still ok.

3. Port-a-potty's the location has not been changed, we need to see if we can get folks who donated them to relocate them. I am also not sure they are bng serviced.

4. Condition of the grass and the park. The grass is being significantly damaged. They have laid down pallets to walk in certain areas.

5. Saturday's march to the plaza. If there is a march and there are significant numbers of folks the hope would be that it remains peaceful.

I am meeting a fire inspector and facilities folks at 9:30 to conduct a perimeter walk, look at tree, and hopefully make sure cooking tent is safe.

Thanks again for all your help and support on this matter.

From: Sharon Cornu
To: Arturo Sanchez
CC: Deanna Santana
Sent: Thu 10/13/2011 8:00 PM
Subject: Occupation

Reviewed the plan with the Mayor. She is concerned about perception of clampdown, creating martyrs. I believe she called DJS directly.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2011/10/13/Bloomberg-Occupy-park-cleaning...

Lech Walesa coming to NYC!


From: Arturo Sanchez
To: Sharon Cornu
CC: Deanna Santana
Sent: Thu 10/13/2011 10:23 PM
Subject: Re: Occupation

We are concerned about perception too. I think Deanna and mayor are on same page based on your email. In today's discussion Deanna was keenly aware of those same perceptions.

The toothless VS heavy handed issue may be a problem

If they don't leave my sense is we will need to make plan to break camp, but too many factors remain undetermined (will people naturally disperse after Saturday? Will action either tomorrow or Saturday force our hand?)

I have given thought to notice and if we hand it out before we are ready we run risk of appearing toothless. So we may need to revisit timing. How much notice is too much notice? How much is not enough? I'm inclined to give 24 hrs. But anything we hand out will be given to media.

No I do not believe this would be perceived as eviction... Police action yes eviction no, at least not yet give them a month... Then yes.

They make decisions by taking issues to the general assembly which takes place at 7 or 8pm. The entire community votes. Majority rules except vetoes can cause deliberation to be continued next day.

Committee leaders meet at 10 am I engage this smaller group ask to be added to agenda and participate... But anything I raise is taken to general assembly for vote.

I think city hall itself will be fine. 14th & broadway may be closed, & traffic a problem. I would only want her away from city hall so she does not on a whim decide to go walk in protest and engage in any way, as she may be apt to do.. (but that's a fear because she has historically been seen as pro demonstrator which in light of weeks press would exacerbate the problem perception)

From: Arturo Sanchez
To: Deanna Santana
CC: Susan Piper, Karen Boyd, Alexandra Orologas, Sharon Cornu, Jeffrey Israel, Steven Tull, Derin Minor
Sent: Fri 10/14/2011 9:04 AM
Subject: Camp morning update

I will be walking the perimeter with Derin at 915. At 10 am (or so it can start at 10:20 or 10:30) I will meet with committee group. The main item of concern is that we have one camper who has decided to tie their tarp to the Oakland Tree. I gave people in the camp a warning about it yesterday and I asked them to have the camper untie from the tree. In looking at the tree yesterday there appeared to be some minimal damage to the tree.

I intend to make one final request at the 10 am meeting. It is killing me that they have not untied it. I suggest that I will tell them that we are considering our options which may include untying it ourselves. We can discuss further at 12 today.


From: Arturo Sanchez
To: Deanna Santana
CC: Susan Piper, Karen Boyd, Alexandra Orologas, Sharon Cornu, Jeffrey Israel, Steven Tull, Derin Minor
Sent: Fri 10/14/2011 9:38 AM
Subject: UPDATE: RE: Camp morning update

Upon closer inspection the tarp is not ties to the tree. It appears that they have abided by the restriction. Derin and I walked the perimeter there is some graffiti (whether attributable to protesters or not cannot be confirmed). There is a couch which I will ask to have removed and the area seems to be kept clean.

It appears to have increased by at least 6-8 small tents. They are running out of space upon which to camp.


From: Susan Piper
To: Arturo Sanchez
Sent: Fri 10/14/2011 9:40 AM
Subject: RE: UPDATE: RE: Camp morning update

I am sure you thanked them for looking our for "our tree". Maybe the lack of space will contain the situation?


From: Arturo Sanchez
To: Susan Piper
Sent: Fri 10/14/2011 9:46 AM
Subject: RE: UPDATE: RE: Camp morning update

I have been thanking them for all the good things they do.

Who knows. We will see.

From: Derin Minor
To: Brooke Levin
CC: Karen Boyd, Deanna Santana, Howard Jordan, Jeffrey Israel, Arturo Sanchez, Cynthia Perkins, Johnna Watson, Susan Piper, Susan Shelton
Sent: Fri 10/14/2011 4:20 PM
Subject: RE: Message from City of Oakland re: Planned Demonstrations this Afternoon and Tomorrow

Brooke,

I just had a visit from Jack Kurzweil who is representing the group Move on.Org which has an event scheduled for tomorrow at FHOP.

Jack and several of his colleagues came into my office to modify their request to use the Plaza tomorrow. They do not want to be affiliated with the Occupy Oakland participants. They informed us that they initially met with the "group" to have a unified event and use of space but they have had no success coming to a mutual understanding or agreement.

They have requested to relocate their event to the space between Dalziel and the Clay Street Garage. The time will remain the same and they will have their own porta-potties delivered to the area behind City Hall. They have a generator for power and plan to remove all of their own debris and recyclables.

I approved their request to modify their event location within the plaza. Just wanted to let you know.

Derin

From: Arturo Sanchez
To: Deanna Santana, Howard Jordan, Jeffrey Israel, Steven Tull, Mike Reilly, Alexandra Orologas
Sent: Sat 10/15/2011 8:18 AM
Subject: Camp grew...

Camp grew count about 7 new tents

From: Jeffrey Israel
To: Howard Jordan
CC: Eric Breshears
Sent: Mon 10/17/2011 8:23 AM
Subject: FOP protestors challenged OPD and prevented us from responding to a medical call in the plaza.

This is a log entry from last night at 10:20pm.

"Sgt. Yu, Officers Perea, Meyer (3A6), and Bowie (3L4) responded to FOP at the request of OFD who were handling a medical call of a protester that climbed upon a structure and fell 14' below. As preplanned, officers staged and entered together leaving two officers at a distance as observers. The other two officers attempted to make way to OFD/Patient but were confronted with profanity, name calling, and chants. Phrases included Go Home, This is our house, You can't be here, and You are not coming inside. About 30 protesters formed a skirmish type line preventing officers from getting access to the OFD/Patient. OFD then canceled OPD assistance. The two officers were followed out of FOP will similar chants. OPD cleared w/o further incident. PDRDs were activated. MDT "officer safety" message was sent by 3L81 to BFO1 personnel, referencing the incident and required Sgt notification prior to respond to FOP."

This is a very dangerous situation and one that exposes the City to liability if another person needs our assistance and we cannot provide it. This will only get worse as they feel more empowered to challenge authority. I recommend that discussions begin to remove the campers from the plaza. Here is what I recommend:

1. City officials including Mayor and Council Members unite in their demand for all protestors to remove all personal property and vacate a defined area of the plaza so that it can be cleaned and maintained again for the free use by the rest of the public.

2. Discussions happen at any level possible with anyone that will listen. Record all conversations.

3. The City can designate a third of the plaza for overnight protestors but that is it.

4. Have the City consider involving the City Attorney's Office to evaluate the use of a civil restraining or stay away order.

5. Give them 4 hours to vacate the property.

6. Any property left in the areas designated for public use shall be removed and anyone interfering will be cited/arrested.

7. We do not need UCs for this. We have the people we need to handle this working tomorrow (PSO/CID/IAD). We can coordinate with PWA to remove the property that people refuse to remove. It will be treated as abandoned property once we give the order to remove it and no one claims it. We record everything.

8. I will request assistance from ACSO for mass arrest processing only. OPD will handle all of the physical arrests, if any.

9. We will plan for post-incident marches, protests, all week.

10. One consideration is if we wait until next week we are busy with the IMT visit.


From: Arturo Sanchez
To: Howard Jordan, Deanna Santana
Sent: Mon 10/17/2011 11:19 AM
Subject: RE: FOP protestors challenged OPD and prevented us from responding to a medical call in the plaza.

They are becoming increasingly more aggressive. To confirm your email yesterday, today there was more talk about training for human chain around plaza expecting confrontation, and they are arguing with each other now outside.

From: Huy Nguyen
To: Serge Babka
Sent: Mon 10/17/2011 12:23 2011
Subject: Occupy Oakland

Lt,

On today's at about 0935 hrs, the Occupy Oakland group were involved in an argument over territory inside the plaza. OPD officers were in the area. Incident #297.

Currently, the group is at the north west corner of Broadway and 14th St. They are using a sound system thanking their supporters and singing.


From: Arturo Sanchez
To: Steven Tull
CC: Jeffrey Israel
Sent: Mon 10/17/2011 12:45 PM
Subject: Re: Occupy Oakland

It is too loud can we have Hui go by and ask then to turn it down?


From: Jeffrey Israel
To: Arturo Sanchez
Sent: Mon 10/17/2011 1:17 PM
Subject: Re: Occupy Oakland

Did they lower it? You know they will not respond to the police at all.


From: Arturo Sanchez
To: Jeffrey Israel
Sent: Mon 10/17/2011 1:20 PM
Subject: Re: Occupy Oakland

They complied with 1pm restriction!!!

From: Jeffrey Israel
To: Arturo Sanchez, Howard Jordan, Eric Breshears, Deanna Santana, Mike Reilly
Sent: Mon 10/17/2011 4:35 PM
Subject: Member of the media was just bit by a protestor's dog after he refused to leave the encampment area. Officer's are enroute.

This story could change but this is what I have as of right now.


From: Arturo Sanchez
To: Jeffrey Israel, Howard Jordan, Eric Breshears, Deanna Santana, Mike Reilly
Sent: Mon 10/17/2011 4:38 PM
Subject: RE: Member of the media was just bit by a protestor's dog after he refused to leave the encampment area. Officer's are enroute.

They were definitely being belligerent to the media and chanting to get rid of them. They have quieted down


From: Jeffrey Israel
To: Arturo Sanchez
Sent: Mon 10/17/2011 4:40 PM
Subject: RE: Member of the media was just bit by a protestor's dog after he refused to leave the encampment area. Officer's are enroute.

Officers are on scene and asking for more units. Captain Tull is enroute there now. If it's true that anyone assaulted another person because they refused to leave the plaza then we should discuss the City's response. Liability for such acts, with no response from the City, is huge.


From: Arturo Sanchez
To: Jeffrey Israel
Sent: Mon 10/17/2011 4:46 PM
Subject: RE: Member of the media was just bit by a protestor's dog after he refused to leave the encampment area. Officer's are enroute.

Officers left. Wow flared up quickly.

What can you tell me about the reporter? Injuries? Damage?

Also MJQ wants us to tell the reporters that they cannot block the public right of way.


From: Jeffrey Israel
To: Arturo Sanchez
Sent: Mon 10/17/2011 4:54 PM
Subject: RE: Member of the media was just bit by a protestor's dog after he refused to leave the encampment area. Officer's are enroute.

Media frequently block the public right of way. Is she sure she wants to go there?

I talked with Mike Bang from NBC. He saw what happened. "Ken" from KTVU approached the campground and a dog bit him. The campers then told Ken to leave (lots of profanity). Ken was bitten on the arm. Mike Bang told me that it was an accident and that the dog was not directed to bite Ken. However, we now have a vicious dog to deal with in the encampment.

Another note: the campers formed a skirmish line to prevent OPD from entering the plaza (50-75 people). This is the action we can expect every time OPD arrives on the scene. We can expect to be confronted and challenged every time we arrive to investigate a complaint. This leaves us unable to investigate anything in the plaza.


From: Arturo Sanchez
To: Jean Quan
Sent: Mon 10/17/2011 4:56 PM
Subject: Fwd: Member of the media was just bit by a protestor's dog after he refused to leave the encampment area. Officer's are enroute.

FYI

From: Jeffrey Israel
To: Howard Jordan, Arturo Sanchez, Deanna Santana, Brooke Levin
CC: Eric Breshears
Sent: Tue 10/18/2011 10:35 AM
Subject: FW: Protest Alert! Oakland, CA..Tuesday, October 18, 2011..1700 to 2200 Hours..Occupy Oakland Queer March

Another two marches planned. This one for tonight at 5pm. This is a huge drain on our resources to fight crime. 20Oct11, Thursday is another one at 51st and Broadway for 3:30pm. Ops plans forthcoming.


From: Arturo Sanchez
To: Jeffrey Israel, Howard Jordan, Deanna Santana
CC: Eric Breshears
Sent: Tue 10/18/2011 11:14 AM
Subject: RE: Protest Alert! Oakland, CA..Tuesday, October 18, 2011..1700 to 2200 Hours..Occupy Oakland Queer March

DC Israel,

One of the camp folks is up here talking to me and he is expressing a concern because the folks in the camp noticed a few officers staging near the camp, the folks raised their alarm bc they thought the officers were about to come in. I assume they were just doing a security check, and I informed the individual of this. I also explained that due to the reaction caused by the presence of officers the easiest time for them to conduct a security check is in the early am.

The concern expressed by the individual is that our position may have changed and he was wondering if we do decide to move in would we provide notice. I advised him our position has at this moment not changed and that if we determine to take action we will provide notice.

From: Karen Boyd
To: Announcements
Sent: Tue 10/18/2011 6:53 PM
Subject: Update on Occupy Oakland (with flyer)

Dear City Colleagues,

Many of you have been asking about Occupy Oakland, which began camping in Frank Ogawa Plaza last Monday. The City Administrator's Office has been communicating with the demonstrators on a regular basis through verbal interactions and written flyers establishing ground rules for use of the Plaza.

Demonstrators were initially cooperative, but the City has been growing increasingly concerned about public health, safety and crowd control issues. We appreciate that you and others have brought those concerns to our attention, and we are informing the demonstrators of our requirement to address those concerns as a condition of our peaceful coexistence.

Attached is the latest flyer being delivered to demonstrators this morning. We have also set up a section on our homepage where these instructions will be posted so that as participants join the demonstration they will have a place to reference the rules.

Our primary message to the demonstrators is that we need them to accommodate the needs of City employees, visitors, schools and the many public users of the Plaza and to ensure that the health, safety and crowd control issues are addressed.

If you have questions or concerns, please contact me or Arturo Sanchez at 238-7542.


From: Jeffrey Israel
To: Karen Boyd
CC: Deanna Santana, Howard Jordan, Arturo Sanchez
Sent: Tue 10/18/2011 2:39 PM
Subject: Costs for bay of rage march on Friday. $22,876

[no message]

From: Jeffrey Israel
To: Arturo Sanchez
Sent: Tue 10/18/2011 2:22 PM
Subject: Re: Snow PArk

Arturo: Can you also advise FOP that OPD will be facilitating a march at 5pm that starts at 14th and Broadway and that OPD is not assembling to take action against the plaza protestors. Thanks.


From: Arturo Sanchez
To: Arturo Sanchez
CC: Deanna Santana, Mike Reilly, Jeffrey Israel, Howard Jordan, Karen Boyd
Sent: Tue 10/18/2011 5:00 PM
Subject: Re: Snow PArk

The flyer did not go over well. They consider any OPD attempt to escort marchers an escalation. They indicated they have burned all notices and intend not to ever comply because the city has not asked for compliance but attempted to direct the occupation. "Any attempt to favilitate the march will be considered an escalation and lead to riots"


From: Jeffrey Israel
To: Arturo Sanchez, Deanna Santana, Mike Reilly, Karen Boyd, Howard Jordan
Sent: Tue 10/18/2011 5:07 PM
Subject: Re: Snow PArk

Well, "they" have now put the City on notice that even a peaceful facilitation of their rights will lead to a riot. We can either wait for the riot (which may never happen) or order them to cease their night time occupation and be ready to enforce the order including maintaining a heavy presence at the plaza and possibly other parks too. I think a rather firm message regarding riots must be communicated to them. Something along the order of telling them any such activity will compromise their current situation and end what has been a peaceful, almost symbiotic relationship with the City. We simply will not tolerate riots, vandalism, attempted riots, or violence towards the police.


From: Howard Jordan
To: Jeffrey Israel
CC: Arturo Sanchez, Deanna Santana, Mike Reilly, Karen Boyd
Sent: Tue 10/18/2011 5:12 PM
Subject: Re: Snow PArk

I agree, however, let's make sure have our resources in place.

From: Arturo Sanchez
To: Mayor's Staff, City Council, CAO Admin
Sent: Wed 10/19/2011 5:16 PM
Subject: IM Re: Occupy Oakland Concerns

Hon. Mayor and City Council,

Attached please find IM regarding Occupy Oakland flyer and concerns City will be expressing to the camp occupants. I have distributed the flyer to the camp folks. Please contact me if you have any questions. Thank you.


From: Pat Kernighan
To: Deanna Santana, Sharon Cornu, Susan Piper, Karen Boyd
CC: Arturo Sanchez
Sent: Wed 10/19/2011 5:43 PM
Subject: RE: IM Re: Occupy Oakland Concerns

Mayor Quan and City Administrator Santana,

I think the time has come to end the encampment on the Plaza. Your memos to the campers illustrate the range of public health and safety issues that have been occurring. I think the encampment served its purpose in drawing attention to national issues that many of us are also concerned about, but I don't think that maintaining this tent city in downtown Oakland is likely to have futher impact on Wall Street. Instead, it has become a serious blight in the middle of our downtown and is negatively impacting surrounding businesses and the legitimate activities of other Oaklanders. Perhaps most importantly, it is costing the City considerable money to manage. Surely there are other ways for peaceful protest that do not blight the heart of our downtown.

I am sure that the effort to evict the campers will not be easy and it must be done with great forethought. If you want to involve the Council in making the decision, please let me know.

Thank you for considering my thoughts on the matter.


From: Deanna Santana
To: Pat Kernighan, Sharon Cornu, Susan Piper, Karen Boyd
CC: Arturo Sanchez
Sent: Wed 10/19/2011 6:27 PM
Subject: RE: IM Re: Occupy Oakland Concerns

Thank you for your input....we are weighing our options heavily.

More in: