'Major Oil Spill' Feared As Rig Sinks Off US Coast

Published on
by
Agence France-Presse

'Major Oil Spill' Feared As Rig Sinks Off US Coast

Crude oil could be spilling into waters off Louisiana coast • Hopes fade for 11 workers missing after explosion and fire

by

US Coast Guard issued photo shows fire boat response crews battling the blazing remains of an oil rig off the Louisiana coastline. The rig has now sunk into the Gulf of Mexico, sparking fears of an environmental disaster.(AFP/HO/US Coast Guard)

NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana
– A blazing oil rig has sunk into the Gulf of Mexico, sparking
fears of an environmental disaster two days after a massive blast that
left 11 workers missing.

With no sign of the missing workers, rescuers looked likely to abandon their search for survivors.

US
maritime authorities said crude oil was pouring into the sea at the
site where the hulking Deepwater Horizon rig once stood, though they
were unable to determine at what rate.

In Washington, President
Barack Obama said the federal response to the disaster "was being
treated as the number one priority," the White House said in a
statement.

Obama "made sure that the entire federal government
was offering all assistance needed in the rescue effort as well as in
mitigating and responding to the environmental impact," the statement
read. Related article: Louisiana ecosystem faces oil spill threat

Officials
said that before the explosion there were 700,000 gallons (2.6 million
liters) of diesel fuel on board the semi-submersible platform and it
had been drilling 8,000 barrels, or 336,000 gallons, of oil a day.

"This is considered a major oil spill," Mike O'Berry, a US Coast Guard senior chief petty officer, told AFP.

The
Coast Guard said a one mile by five mile slick had settled on the
surface some 45 miles (70 kilometers) offshore as a massive clean-up
operation gets under way to prevent the oil from hitting land in the
Gulf states of Louisiana, Alabama and Mississippi.

Coast Guard
vessels continued their search late Thursday for the 11 missing
workers, while British oil giant BP, which leased the platform,
dispatched a fleet of boats to try to keep environmental damage in
check.

Officials said the current spill had the potential to be
the worst seen in the United States since the 1989 Exxon Valdez oil
tanker spill, considered one of the worst man-made environmental
disasters.

That spill, vastly bigger than the current one in
the US Gulf, poured nearly 11 million gallons of crude into Alaska's
Prince William Sound, devastating some 750 miles (1,300 kilometers) of
its once pristine shores.

If oil leaks and the spill escapes
containment efforts, Louisiana's sensitive coast would be at risk for
ecological damage. Wild birds, breeding grounds for shrimp, and oyster
beds would also be threatened. Should a spill reach shore, birds could
be covered in the slick.

O'Berry said US authorities were deploying several oil-skimming vessels to try to limit the pollution.

The
Coast Guard sent a mini-submarine equipped with cameras to determine
the oil flow into the ecologically fragile Gulf, home to a vast array
of waterfowl and other wildlife.

Before the rig sank into the
ocean, oil fires raged for more than a day and a half following a
spectacular explosion late Tuesday that sent huge balls of flame
leaping into the night sky.

The now submerged oil rig measuring
396-by-256 feet (121-by-78 meters) is owned by Houston, Texas-based
contractor Transocean, Ltd. and under contract to BP.

Transocean
confirmed late Thursday that it had not been possible "to stem the flow
of hydrocarbons prior to the rig sinking," raising fears that thousands
more gallons of crude will pollute the Gulf waters before the flow is
contained.

"We are working closely with BP Exploration &
Production, Inc. and the US Coast Guard to determine the impact from
the sinking of the rig and the plans going forward," the company said.

It added that "the US Coast Guard has plans in place to mitigate any environmental impact from this situation."

Transocean
vice president Adrian Rose said earlier that the rig likely suffered a
blowout while drilling through rock at BP's Macondo prospect, although
investigations into the exact cause of the accident are ongoing.

Seventeen
workers were airlifted to hospital on Wednesday after suffering broken
bones, burns and smoke inhalation in the explosion on the mobile rig.
Four remained in critical condition.

But there was no sign of
the missing 11 workers and it remained unclear whether they made it
safely into one of the rig's lifeboats.

And Rear Admiral Mary
Landry, commander of the Coast Guard's 8th District, said the missing
11 may have been near the huge explosion itself, The Times-Picayune
newpaper reported Friday.

"With a water temperature of 67
degrees, the probability of finding survivors had diminished to almost
zero by Thursday afternoon," the report cited Landry as saying.

"We
will go beyond that survivability period because it's always an
estimate," she said late Thursday. "We will probably search for another
12 hours," she said in the report; that would put the end of search and
rescue at early Friday morning.

Transocean's Rose said the missing workers "may have been unable to evacuate" once the rig exploded.

Transocean
is the world's largest offshore drilling contractor, with a fleet of
140 mobile offshore drilling units, in addition to three
ultra-deepwater units under construction.

A total of 126 people
were onboard the platform at the time of the explosion, 79 of them
Transocean staff, six BP personnel and 41 contractors.

More in: