Iraq Rejects Permanent US Bases: Adviser

Published on
by
Reuters

Iraq Rejects Permanent US Bases: Adviser

by
Peter Graff

BAGHDAD - Iraq will never allow the United States to have permanent military bases on its soil, the government's national security adviser said.

"We need the United States in our war against terrorism, we need them to guard our border sometimes, we need them for economic support and we need them for diplomatic and political support," Mowaffaq al-Rubaie said.

"But I say one thing, permanent forces or bases in Iraq for any foreign forces is a red line that cannot be accepted by any nationalist Iraqi," he told Dubai-based al Arabiya television in an interview broadcast late on Monday.

His comments were the clearest sign yet that Iraq's leaders are looking ahead to the days when they have full responsibility for its defense.

The United States has around 160,000 troops in Iraq, officially under a United Nations mandate enacted after the U.S.-led invasion in 2003.

Iraq formally asked the United Nations on Monday to renew that mandate for a year until the end of 2008. It made clear it would not extend the mandate beyond next year and the mandate could be revoked sooner at Iraq's request.

President George W. Bush and Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki signed a declaration of principles last month agreeing to friendly long-term ties. Arrangements for U.S. troops to stay beyond next year will be negotiated in early 2008.

Iraq has become less violent in recent months after Bush sent an extra 30,000 troops. Washington intends to reduce its force by more than 20,000 by June 2008 and is expected to decide in March on force levels beyond that date.

FULLY DEPLOYED

The total number of attacks has fallen 60 percent since June when the additional U.S. troops became fully deployed.

In a statement, the U.S. military said the number of mortar and rocket attacks in Baghdad fell by nearly half last month, to 25 in November from 49 in October.

But U.S. commanders say al Qaeda Sunni Arab militants remain a serious threat, especially in the north of the country.

A suicide car bomber killed one U.S. soldier and wounded two others on Monday in Salahuddin province north of Baghdad, the U.S. military said. Last week an al Qaeda-linked group threatened a wave of new attacks.

Nearly 3,900 American soldiers have been killed in Iraq since 2003.

A suicide car bomb exploded on Tuesday at a checkpoint in a heavily guarded west Baghdad neighborhood near the homes of former interim Prime Minister Iyad Allawi and the leader of a small Sunni Arab party.

Two people were killed and 12 wounded. Neither politician was at his home.

The head of Iraq's largest mental hospital was killed by gunmen in a drive-by shooting late on Monday, the latest in a wave of attacks on medical experts that has caused an exodus of doctors.

(Additional reporting by Mussab Al-Khairalla, Dean Yates, Aseel Kami and Aws Qusay in Baghdad and Claudia Parsons in New York)

(Editing by Ibon Villelabeitia)

© 2007 Reuters

Share This Article

More in: