EMAIL SIGN UP!
Most Popular This Week
- 21 Ways the Canadian Health Care System is Better than Obamacare
- The Empire Strikes Back: How Wall Street Has Turned Housing Into a Dangerous Get-Rich-Quick Scheme -- Again
- Naming Names: The 90 Companies Destroying Our Planet
- Scared to Death in the USA
- Bernie Sanders: To Defeat Oligarchy, I Would Run for President
Today's Top News
Syria Meets Deadline, Destroys Chemical Weapons Sites
OPCW inspectors say Syria met milestone on path to destroy chemical weapons
Meeting the demands put forth in a deal brokered by Russia and the United States last month, all chemical weapons production facilities controlled by the Syrian government have now been destroyed, the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) said Thursday.
Syria "has completed the functional destruction of critical equipment for all of its declared chemical weapons production facilities and mixing/filling plants, rendering them inoperable," before the November 1 deadline placed on the country, the international chemical weapons watchdog stated.
"The finding confirms that Syria has met a major milestone in the elaborate disarmament process only one month after international inspectors first arrived in the country to begin the complex and politically sensitive operation," the LA Times reports.
The next deadline, set for November 15, will be for the OPCW and Syria to agree on a detailed plan to destroy the reported 1,000 metric tons of chemical weapons controlled by the Syrian government.