EMAIL SIGN UP!
Most Popular This Week
- Bangladesh Garment Factory Ablaze As Worker Anger Boils
- What’s Good For Bill Gates Turns Out To Be Bad For Public Schools
- 12 Mandela Quotes That Won't Be In the Corporate Media Obituaries
- Top 10 Ways the US is the Most Corrupt Country in the World
- What You Need to Know About the International Test Scores
Today's Top News
Major Earthquake Rocks Pakistan, Causes 'Island' to Form
A 7.7 magnitude earthquake rocked the Baluchistan province of Pakistan on Tuesday, killing at least 45 people, according to media reports.
Reuters reports that
The earthquake was so powerful that it caused the seabed to rise and create a small, mountain-like island about 600 meters (yards) off Pakistan's Gwadar coastline in the Arabian Sea.
Muhammad Riaz, a senior Pakistan meteorologist, told reporters that "heavy destruction" was likely.
The death toll is likely to climb. The U.S. Geological Survey issued a red alert level for fatalities after the earthquake, writing that "High casualties are probable and the disaster is likely widespread. Past events with this alert level have required a national or international level response."