EMAIL SIGN UP!
Most Popular This Week
- 'Sleepwalking to Extinction': Capitalism and the Destruction of Life and Earth
- Federal Judge Slams DoJ for Not Prosecuting Wall Street Execs
- What's Right with Sweden? Prisons Close as Demand Falls
- The Stealthy Killer That Is Capitalism
- Sanders Goes on Offense Against Austerity with 'Progressive Budget Blueprint'
Today's Top News
Pennsylvania Governor: 'I'm All About Privatization'
Gov. Tom Corbett continues to embrace his privatization push in the state of Pennsylvania.
The Philadelphia Inquirer reported Thursday that Corbett "and his team are sending strong signals that they want the [state-run liquor] system squarely in private hands." Also this week, his administration signed off on putting the state lottery in private hands. Meanwhile, 37 public schools are slated to close in the name of charter school expansion.
Corbett spokesman Kevin Harley made clear on Thursday any doubts about Corbett's plans. "The governor is a proponent of bold privatization. That has been his consistent position from day one—and it hasn't changed."
House Republican spokesman Steve Miskin welcomed Corbett's approach, stating, "We look forward to a very strong privatization effort this session."