EMAIL SIGN UP!
Most Popular This Week
- Bangladesh Garment Factory Ablaze As Worker Anger Boils
- What’s Good For Bill Gates Turns Out To Be Bad For Public Schools
- 12 Mandela Quotes That Won't Be In the Corporate Media Obituaries
- Top 10 Ways the US is the Most Corrupt Country in the World
- What You Need to Know About the International Test Scores
Today's Top News
Success: Court Reinstates Montana's Campaign Contribution Limits
Federal appeals court ruling leaves state law in effect, marks temporary victory against Citizens United.
A federal appeals court has reinstated limits on campaign contributions in Montana on Tuesday, a decision that leaves the state law in effect and marks a small, victorious step for those fighting Citizens United.
The decision from the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals late yesterday temporarily stays an injunction U.S. District Judge Charles Lovell issued a week ago when he tossed out the limits, saying they prevented campaigns from raising the necessary funds “for effective campaign advocacy.”
On Wednesday, the Circuit Court Judges told Lovell they needed to see his full reasoning.
Montana has been "ground zero for the nation’s legal battle over Citizens United,” Raw Story's Stephen C. Webster writes, where the "ruling conflicted with numerous state laws, which conservatives have been picking off one by one."