Get News & Views Updates
Most Popular This Week
- This Is What Happens When You Rip a Hole in the Safety Net
- New Sanders Bill Would Break Up Big Banks
- The Day That TV News Died
- So Your Groundwater's Poison and Your Tap Water's On Fire. Not to Worry: Fracking Chemicals Are Trade Secrets You Don't Need To Know About
- The '147 People' Destroying the US Economy
Today's Top News
GOP 'Cranks and Crazies' in US Biggest Threat to World Economy: Australian Official
Providing an outside perspective on American politics today, the Australian Treasurer, Wayne Swan, said "cranks and crazies" had taken over the GOP.
"Let’s be blunt and acknowledge the biggest threat to the world’s biggest economy are the cranks and crazies that have taken over a part of the Republican Party," Swan said in a speech to a conference in Sydney.
"Despite President Obama’s goodwill and strong efforts, the national interest there was held hostage by the rise of the extreme tea party wing of the Republican Party. And there can be few things more alarming in public policy than a political movement which was genuinely prepared to see the government of the United States default on its obligations in order to score a political point."