Sign-Up for Newsletter!
Most Popular This Week
- Members of Congress Declare "Immunity" from Insider Trading Probe
- NSA 'Bombshell': Agency Spied on Prominent American Citizens
- Those Kids Crossing the Border From Mexico Wouldn't Be There If Obama Hadn't Supported a Coup the Media Doesn't Talk About
- A View from Gaza: This Is a Brutal Attack, Not a "Military Operation"
- Kneeling in Fenway Park to the Gods of War
Today's Top News
Guantánamo Inmate Dies, Ninth to Perish at Prison Camp
Former hunger striker had never been charged with a crime
A Guantanamo inmate and former hunger striker has been declared dead, the US Military said Monday. The detainee was discovered unconscious in his cell and was later declared dead at the US base hospital. The military has not yet revealed the detainee's identity, nationality, or the cause of his death. He was the ninth to die while in detention at the infamous high security prison camp.
"After extensive lifesaving measures had been performed, the detainee was pronounced dead by a physician," the US Southern Command said in a statement.
The detainee and former hunger striker had resumed eating on June 1, and was back to 95% of his ideal body weight at the time of his death.
In the days leading up to his death, the prisoner had been placed in 'Camp 5,' a wing of the camp where prisoners are placed for disciplinary measures, said navy captain Robert Durand, a spokesman for the prison.
An investigation into the death will be conducted by the Naval Criminal Investigative Service, and a medical examiner has been brought on to determine the exact cause of the death.
Durand said the man had never been charged and had not been designated for prosecution.