Sign-Up for Newsletter!
Most Popular This Week
- Members of Congress Declare "Immunity" from Insider Trading Probe
- Afraid to Stoke Populist Ire, Obama Abandons 'Inequality' Rhetoric
- NSA 'Bombshell': Agency Spied on Prominent American Citizens
- Unpatriotic US Corporations Becoming Hot Political Issue That Unites Right and Left
- Kneeling in Fenway Park to the Gods of War
Today's Top News
UN Suspends Syria Mission
The United Nations has suspended its peace mission in Syria citing surging violence in the past 10 days as posing a risk to its observers.
General Robert Mood, head of the UN Supervision Mission in Syria (UNSMIS), said in a statement, "This escalation is limiting our ability to observe, verify, report as well as assist in local dialogue and stability projects – basically impeding our ability to carry out our mandate."
"The lack of willingness by the parties to seek a peaceful transition, and the push towards advancing military positions is increasing the losses on both sides: innocent civilians, men women and children are being killed every day. It is also posing significant risks to our observers," he added.
The UN estimates that over 10,000 people, mostly civilians, have died since the uprising against President Bashar al-Assad began in March 2011.
* * *
Video from Al Jazeera: UN mission suspends activities in Syria
* * *
Video from RT: Increasing bloodshed leads to suspension of UN observer mission in Syria