EMAIL SIGN UP!
Most Popular This Week
- One American Who Isn't For Sale
- Edward Snowden: Saving Us from the United Stasi of America
- Major Loss to Organic Farmers as Court Rules in Favor of Monsanto
- The Judicial Lynching of Bradley Manning
- Remembering Satyajit Ray’s Hirok Rajar Deshe: On Edward Snowden, Resistance and Inverted Totalitarianism
Today's Top News
California Primary: Norman Solomon Vying to Replace US Rep. Lynn Woolsey
Voters in Northern California's 2nd Congressional District head to the polls today in a primary vote to determine the successor to retiring Democratic US Rep. Lynn Woolsey, former chair of the Congressional Progressive caucus. The candidates include the progressive activist and author Norman Solomon, co-founder of FAIR (Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting) and the founder of the Institute for Public Accuracy. The top two vote getters in the 12-candidate race will square off in November for the chance to claim Woolsey’s seat.
Voter turnout statewide is projected to be the worst ever in the state's modern era: Only 35 percent of the state's registered voters are expected to vote, according to a Field Poll estimate Tuesday. But the turnout in the heavily contested 2nd Congressional District is expected to be higher - in the 50-55% range based on absentee ballot return rates.
Polling places opened at 7 a.m. PT Tuesday morning and will remain open until 8 p.m. PT. Election returns from the California Secretary of State will be available here.
* * *
# # #