Donate Today!

EMAIL SIGN UP!

 

Popular content

Kabul Suicide Bomb Claims 17 Victims

by Jon Boone in Kabul

A suicide bomb attack on an international military convoy in the Afghan capital Kabul has killed at least 17 people, including 13 US troops.

Afghan boy, Ali Ahmad, 9, who was injured in a suicide car bomber, lies in a hospital bed after receiving treatment, in Kabul, Afghanistan, Saturday, Oct. 29, 2011. A suicide car bomber struck a NATO convoy on the outskirts of Kabul on Saturday, a U.S. official says all 13 NATO service members killed in a suicide bombing in the Afghan capital were American troops. The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack, which also killed four Afghans, including a policeman. (AP Photo/Muhammed Muheisen) All 13 members of the Nato-led International Security Assistance Force (Isaf) killed in the attack near Darulaman Palace, on the south-west outskirts of Kabul, were American soldiers, according to a US official.

"We can confirm that 13 International Security Assistance Force members have died," said an Isaf spokesman.

The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack, which also killed four Afghans, including a policeman. The deputy police chief added that another three policemen were wounded in the attack.

Two Nato helicopters landed at the scene to airlift several casualties. Other victims were treated on stretchers laid out on the pavement.

Violence across Afghanistan is at its worst since the start of the war 10 years ago, according to the United Nations, despite the presence of more than 130,000 foreign troops.

Comments are closed

23 Comments so far

Show All

Comments

Note: Disqus 2012 is best viewed on an up to date browser. Click here for information. Instructions for how to sign up to comment can be viewed here. Our Comment Policy can be viewed here. Please follow the guidelines. Note to Readers: Spam Filter May Capture Legitimate Comments...