EMAIL SIGN UP!
Most Popular This Week
- 'The Gilded Age' Statistics Corporations Don't Want Workers, or Anyone, to See
- As Death Toll Rises Beyond 500, Garment Factory Disaster 'Worst in World History'
- Report: Toxic Chemicals Found in Thousands of Children's Products
- Pregnant Anti-War Soldier Sent to Prison
- The Sick Madness of Tom Friedman's Culture
Today's Top News
Military Contracting Last Defense in Bad Economy
It's career day in Charlottesville, Virginia, and for one industry, business is booming. More than 1.6 million Americans work in defense contracting companies that supply the Department of Defense with everything from bombers to forks. And Americans aren't wrong to think a defense job is a good job—even during economic tough times, more than 50% of taxpayer dollars go to the Pentagon. In a bad economy, are defense contractors the last line of defense for the unemployed?